Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 13 7000 (7370) Display Won't Wake Up

so, to resolve my issue, I eventually had to get dell to replace the system board on the machine and now everything is working well even with the latest updated bios.

Logged a call with their tech support for the issue, had one of their tech's remotely connect to the machine - did some troubleshooting and installed the drivers that was recommended - I indulged them just to prove the point that its not a software issue.  After around an hour or so of troubleshooting, and a few days of monitoring in which the problem still occurred and seemed to get worse to a point where after putting the machine into suspend mode to take home for the day which initiated correctly, the fans would be running at full power and extremely hot an hour later and the screen would be blank - PC would be unresponsive but was good as a heater.

Solution was to replace the system board and the cooling fan, and everything seems to be running fine.  That would most likely be the solution especially if your machine is under warranty.  Have 2 other machines here at work that have the exact same issue.

Thanks,
Regards

1 Copper

Hi guys,

I have the same issue. Very frustrating experience with Dell Support here. I tested the device using Linux Fedora to see if it was a software problem. Sent the laptop away just before the end of my warranty, the guy in the emails assured me that they would need to replace the board. The board is not replaced - they replaced the SSD saying that it was corrupted (because I installed another OS??). Very annoying.

Despite it appearing to be a hardware issue, I found something of a work around. Installing the old intel driver dated February 2018 from the dell website appears to fix the issue. It removes the sleep capability from idle and the screen off is not a true dim, but there doesn't appear to be any risk of the machine dying. This makes me think that there is a discrepancy between the hardware and the graphics drivers, or the board doesn't properly support the features it should.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Frustrated 7000 Dell customers in October 2019:

I second this workaround solution posted by tritmo. I tried reinstalling different Intel Graphics 620 drivers, and the driver released in April 27, 2018. solved the issue with my comp.  I have an Inspiron 13 (7373) 2in1. In the list of drivers listed on the Dell.com site you should see the latest Intel UHD Graphics Driver, click the arrow down and select an older version. dell.jpg

(1)
Highlighted
1 Copper

Any updates on this?I have the same problem with my Inspiron 7370, already sent my notebook to Dell when it was still under warranty and they said the changed the motherboard but I’m still facing the same issue. In first i place the problem was only regarding suspension now I’m not even able to boot

Highlighted
1 Copper

Exactly same problem here. Warranty already expired. Incredible the poor service from DELL and how after months no official answer is offered.

First and last DELL for sure 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Think I have same problem on 7370 of not waking up from sleep.

When machine refuses to wake, only option is a hard power down. Afterwards multiple attempts are needed to start machine up again whether powered or on battery. Machine locks up with back light on keys but does not get as far as BIOS.

Additionally when using the lid to suspend, the suspension does not complete. I can come back to the laptop sometime later to find it pretty warm, with a drained battery.

I run Ubuntu OS on laptop most of the time, but I believe the issue is independent of that as it persists over multiple hard power downs, and prevents boot acting on either F2 or F12 prior to OS boot.

Started experiencing issue after warranty expired.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

So ... still no resolution to this issue? I first posted on this thread back in February of 2019. I started this machine up last night and updated everything to see if it had gotten better (it had been offline for a month). Ran fine for the evening, but when I woke up this morning it was the same old story - fan running, keyboard back-light lit and screen black. The only way to resolve was to hard reboot. 

I have 1 month left on my extended warranty and was hoping this would finally get resolved so that I could reliably start using this machine again - is it worth opening a ticket with support? It appears above that even a motherboard replacement might not help.

Highlighted
1 Copper

On the one I complained about, eventually I complained enough and got a motherboard replacement, and the issue was resolved.

Highlighted
1 Copper

So for me, the motherboard and fan replacement was a short-term issue.  It worked fine for around 2 -3 months after the replacement, and now its back to square one.  I have another called logged with them for the exact same issue.  

I am now shutting down the machine on a daily basis to avoid this issue, as its just annoying and frustrating - I am hoping that Dell will sort out the issue as it is a recurrence of what they had resolved without having to do the troubleshooting again which was a 1 hour session the first time.  My Warranty expires in February 2020, so need to get this resolved before then.

Its just sad to note that we moved away from another brand of laptops that was very problematic to Dell, only to end up having similar sort of issues.  To me it seems that the machine seems to overheat a lot and over time that causes the problem experienced when heading into suspend mode.

Highlighted

If your inspiron has Intel UHD Graphics 620, try uninstalling the display driver, and re-install this specific version:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR

I found that only that specific driver version fixed the issue for my Inspiron.  Latest drivers from Intel didn't work. 

FYI this issue seems to affect multiple Dell laptops, not just Inspiron 13.  Mine is an Inspiron 14.  Dell Latitude laptops also had the same issue