Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

21 Posts

May 24th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 (7591) missing active pen holder slot

I am disappointed to find that the brand new Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 (7591) that arrived on May 23, 2020 is missing the recessed slot on the back of the hinge (or anywhere else for that matter) to hold the Active Pen that I ordered separately.

Every picture on the Dell web site of that particular model clearly shows a recessed slot on the back of the hinge to hold an Active Pen.

I called Dell support and they first told me the slot for the Active Pen is on the inside (with the cover open), but clearly that is not the case.  When I tried to explain that the recessed slot for holding an Active Pen should be on the outside of the hinge, the support person seemed clueless.

What did I forget to specify when I ordered that particular laptop?  I don't recall any of the available configuration options that said anything similar to "include slot for Active Pen".

• 

25.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 03:00

Thank you for replying.

I've read your request and I'm sorry to let you know that we would be unable to provide you the refund of the original laptop. 

If we provide you wirh a replacement still we are unable to provide any refund on the original laptop. I'm sorry.

-Susanna

June 2nd, 2020 03:00

Here's my suggestion:

1. You create an order configuration that is the same as my previous order, with the exception that the new order includes a slot for an Active Pen.

2. You make it possible for me to "take over" the new order (you figure out the details).

3. I place that order but you don't bill me right away (or bill for half the cost).

4. You ship the order. It includes a shipping label for the eventual return of the old laptop.

5. Upon receipt of the replacement laptop, I transfer information from the existing laptop to the new laptop, "wipe" or reset the the old laptop of any personal information to make it as close as possible to an uninitialized state.

6. I pay the final half of the new laptop.

7. I ship the now clean/wiped old laptop to Dell using the shipping label previously mentioned.

8. You credit me the cost of the original laptop.

Does that sound acceptable?

June 2nd, 2020 04:00

Do I understand correctly that you will:

1. send me a replacement laptop configured exactly as the original with the exception that it will include a slot for and Active Pane for no charge.

2. I copy over the information from the laptop without the Active Pen slot to the new laptop that you send me

3. I return to you the laptop without the Active Pen slot at my own expense.

Is that a correct understanding on my part?

If I am not understanding your proposed plan of action, please enlighten me.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 06:00

Hi, 

1) If the order is replaced it wil go with like to like system. 

2) we would nbot be able to offer any compensation

3) You can return the order for a complete refund.

-Susanna

June 2nd, 2020 08:00

Now we are back to square one.

How do I order a laptop that is nearly identical as the one I have now in a way that guarantees that it has a slot for an Active Pen?  That's why this thread keeps dragging on and on and on ...

As I keep trying to tell you, THERE IS NO EXPLICIT WAY TO ORDER A LAPTOP ON DELL.COM WITH A SLOT FOR AN ACTIVE PEN.  As others have stated, just because the color is black instead of silver does not guarantee that what is delivered will have the expected slot for an Active Pen.

Until and unless that fundamental communication takes place, we will never be able to close this thread.

I await your next response.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 14:00

Hi,

I suggest you talk to sales and check what you can do to order one with the slot. We can look at return and refund on this one. We are after sales support and cannot assist you with booking an order. We do not have the expertise to do that. 

Kiran J. 

June 3rd, 2020 02:00

And spend hours on the phone waiting for somebody to help me because they are understandably short-staffed due to COVID19 concerns?  That's why I used the Dell.com web site in the first place.

If the Dell.com web site was more direct about how to order a laptop with a slot for an Active Pen, we would not be having this discussion.

1 Rookie

• 

189 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 10:00

I can understand what you are saying. However, since we are post sales team, we do not have access to the sales information. You can chat with the sales team via chat link. They should be able to provide you with the system details.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 10:00

@fredmorrison 

I own mostly Dells.

Is there some reason you must buy a Dell?

Aren't there similar products from Lenovo or HP or whoever that offers the feature you want? 

June 4th, 2020 07:00

My wife's previous computer was on its last legs and the Dell model I purchased for her had the best combination of features for the price when compared to Lenovo, HP and a couple of others.

I thought I had confiured the system correctly during the online ordering process (impossible these days to speak on the telephone to a real person to verify), which I thought included an Active Pen and the D3100 "docking brick" to connect an external monitor.

The Active Pen and D3100 arrived a few days earlier than the actual laptop, so when the laptop finally arrived, I had everything in place to make the cut-over.  It was only after I had spent a few hours setting up the new laptop and copying over my wife's files from the old computer to the new computer did I go looking for the Active Pen slot.  It was only then that I realized there was no slot to hold the Active Pen.

From what I can tell, my only recourse is to try (with fingers crossed for luck) to order another laptop that hopefully (BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WHICH IS THE HUGE PROBLEM) will arrive with a slot for an Active Pen.  It's that lack of certainty that has me frozen in my tracks in terms of getting a new, properly configured laptop and then returning the original laptop.

I hope Dell changes their online ordering process to make it explicit whether or not the specific model being ordered does or does not have a recessed slot for an Active Pen.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 4th, 2020 08:00

You only have 30 days to return the items for a refund.

Don't dawdle.

1 Message

July 4th, 2020 09:00

I had the exact same experience. They advertised this laptop in April/May to be black and include the active pen. I received the same silver model and after checking with support (who told me to just order the pen holder attachment - need to train order support people better) I checked the page again and miraculously there was now a 7591 without the pen and holder and a 7591 "Black Edition" with both and $500 more. I decided to keep the laptop and just ordered the Dell recommended compatible pen model, contrary to the warning in a lot of reviews that it didn't work but I thought "come on they cannot be recommending a device that doesn't work" but I was wrong. I had to return the pen and now I am hunting passive styluses. Disappointed in Dell and probably will not purchase or recommend purchasing from Dell to others in the future.

• 

25.7K Posts

July 4th, 2020 20:00

Hi, Sorry about your experience with the order. We regret the inconvenience caused. The site advertised a black system however, while selecting the configuration, you need to ensure that you selected the black one which is at a higher price. 

Kiran J. 

July 5th, 2020 05:00

"... you need to ensure that you selected the black one ..."

Why not just include a checkbox on the ordering system that says something like "Include recessed ActivePen holder" that would then put up an informational/warning message that says something like "Selection of recessed ActivePen holder has caused a corresponding change in color to black - please check to see if that is what you really want".

Then, if I change the color selection from Black to Silver, a message such as "Selecting color Silver will remove recessed ActivePen holder - is that what you want?".

The term for this is "orthogonal", meaning that if I change the color from Silver to Black it causes the recessed ActivePen slot to be selected and if I change the color from Black to Silver, it removes the recessed ActivePen slot.

If you want to stop hearing from disappointed customers, change your ordering system - don't blame the customer.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2021 21:00

This is so confusing. It is common sense that Colour option is for colour of the product, not the feature of the product. I ordered this laptop assuming it has pen garage. but No the colour I like doesn't have and upon inquiring they don't have Black colour laptop. What a waste of time and money.

Whoever come up with this idea(probably some marketing   who wants to trick people or someone who has no idea about how general public buy the product). 

Please give a different Model# for this black laptop and stop this confusion and save ours as well as your time. I spent 1.5hours today, very frustrating.

No Events found!