Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 27th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop random shut down

I purchased the above laptop and ever since have had a recurring problem with the system randomly shutting down completely when on battery. Two calls of an hour and a half to tech support later the problem persists. On both calls the rep tried various scans and driver updates and connected to my laptop via remote to find the problem but did not. It seems as if it's overheating while on battery although it doesn't get near as hot as other laptops I have owned in the past.

I'm facing either shipping this brand new laptop away for 10-12 business days, or just dealing with the problem. Or taking it back to the store (it's past 30 days but the credit card I used has purchase protection I can return it up to 60 days).  I've searched the forums and google but found nothing insightful to fix this problem.

Any info/input/suggestions would be much appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 27th, 2018 06:00

There have been prior threads on this type of thing.  If this is a 7567 there may be a new Bios update out soon to help, but check back before trying to upgrade.  I think another thread was started prior to the Bios update mentioned in the linked thread where some systems were having the shutting down problem.

If you want to check older threads, go to the General forum since they have just rebuilt the site and only newer threads are in the laptop section..

https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-is-turning-off-and-restarting-after-BIOS/m-p/5168544#M933727

24 Posts

January 27th, 2018 11:00

I saw that thread, but I cannot reply to it. Is it locked for some odd reason or am I just missing the option? The last post was from a mod mentioning there is a bios update due at the end of the month (January). I am curious what the update is for one, as my system came with 1.4.0, which apparently is at least somewhat of an updated bios since the website only has 1.2 available. The first rep re-installed the 1.4.0 which didn't work, the second tried to downgrade it back to the 1.2, which even with remote control of my laptop he couldn't do. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 27th, 2018 13:00

My system never did what your system is doing.  I have the impression the shutdowns were happening for some folks prior to the referenced Bios update but I can not confirm.

Yes, the discussion mentioned a new Bios version may be available by the end of the month.  Things have gotten a little confusing with the situation of the Intel patch which may not have been applied correctly in the last released update.  I supposing waiting until the end of the month might start folks rejoining any conversation regarding this. 

If you are up on the end of a warranty period, I would not wait to contact Dell.  If you still have the ability to exchange the unit, it may or may not help the situation since the problem seems to be with units built some time after the middle of 2017.

1 Message

February 5th, 2018 13:00

hi jetset516! are you still having this problem? I'm having the same problem and currently running the 1.4.0 bios firmware just like yours.

1 Message

February 12th, 2018 21:00

Hello, I have the same problem and the same laptop model, when the battery has 25% the system shut-down. 

When I restart the system the battery could be with that percent of battery or lower 

My Bios is 1.2

1 Message

March 1st, 2018 23:00

I have this problem too. It occured when I play Microsoft Treasure Hunter with battery! My system is updated. My comp is not hot at this moment. 

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 06:00

It's a BIOS issue that has occurred on version 1.2 and up. After months of people having this issue, Dell still hasn't fixed it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 13th, 2018 12:00

@LucaDB17wrote:

I have the same issue, they told me its a battery issue, highly doubt that

There was a thread where a user posted pictures of his battery connection cable and one end, on one or more pins, was burned.  Possibly some type of electrical arcing.

The fact the system shuts down so fast that no log files are written or dump files created, could very well point to some type of electrical malfunction.  I have not checked my system to see if the cables look the same, but I don't have the problem.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2018 12:00

I have the same issue, they told me its a battery issue, highly doubt that

1 Message

April 2nd, 2018 16:00

I'm having this issue as well. Only happens when unplugged. Immediate black screen then restart. It usually happens when my wife is just browsing the internet. No gaming. I have updated everything I can including bios. Feeling very frustrated with this.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2018 15:00

I am having the same issue. Both rebooting and random "hibernating". Mine happens when plugged in. Updated to 1.5.3 BIOS. That didn't resolve it. Tried resetting the CMOS battery. No dice. 

Waiting on 1.6 BIOS update. No idea what to do till then. This only started happening 2 weeks after my 1 year warranty expired which is frustrating. 

(right before hitting 'post' on this my screen went black. Oh, the irony...)

5 Posts

April 9th, 2018 07:00

Same issue here.  And I have been experiencing this since BIOS 1.2 last year.  I believe DELL has lowered the priority because they reworked their support site and lost the countless complaints from users.  A misdirecting tactic to avoid owning their errors.  This is a BIOS issue.  They should be able to analyze and fix it.  Hopefully they fix this soon and realize that many people, like me, have stopped depending on DELL to be responsive or helpful. :-(

78 Posts

April 18th, 2018 07:00

they fixed the problem ...

5 Posts

April 18th, 2018 07:00

How many pages or entries does DELL need to re-establish this as an error in their system BIOS?  DELL used to be a product I could use.  Now I have a very expensive desktop that pretends to be a laptop because it is unusable as a laptop. 

1 Message

May 8th, 2018 22:00

@Sebastian89

Did you update to v1.6.0 BIOS and have you had the random shutdown since?

No Events found!