Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

7 Posts

September 10th, 2021 13:00

Inspiron 15 7510 with Windows 10 20H2 crashes during standby

I've had the new Inspiron 15 7510 for just over a month and since the first day I have used it, it crashes and restarts when in sleep mode.

The crash usually happens when the notebook has been sleeping for 40 minutes or so.

When the crash happens the system restarts and on the "Windows Event Viewer" I can find a new Error with Source "Bugcheck" that says that a memory dump has been generated.

Opening the memory dump with WinDbg it seems that the Goodix fingerprint reader driver is the culprit, but official Dell support hasn't really helped clarifying that yet:

• at the beginning they suggested to update the drivers and eventually proceed with a clean Windows install. That has been done without any success.
  • now they are suggesting to replace the motherboard

I have already spent a good amount of time trying to have the standby working (personal search plus more than 10 emails with the support) but the problem perists and I have the feeling we are going nowhere.

For sure I could follow their last suggestion and have the motherboard replaced, but before doing that I would like to have a good reason to cleanup the notebook again and send it to them for a few days. Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling they haven't really used the memory dump (I provided both the mini dump and the full dump) to get any useful hints yet.

I'm reaching out to the community to check if someone has experienced similar issues or if someone has any suggestion based on the provided info. For sure I am available to retrieve more info if requested.

Additional info

I searched for solutions in a few ways:

Strange enough the "Inspiron 15 7510" is not listed as tested for Windows 10 (nor 20H2 nor 21H1) while is listed as tested for Windows 11. See Dell computers tested for Windows 10 May 2021 Update and previous versions of Windows 10 and Dell computers tested for upgrade to Windows 11

Maybe its really a driver issue and I should wait for Windows 11?

Windows version info

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.1202
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Log of the !analyze command in WinDbg

6: kd> !analyze
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000006, The device did not complete its Directed Power Transition callback successfully.
Arg2: ffffc908f898c010, The POP_FX_DEVICE object
Arg3: 0000000000000000, If this was a Directed Power Down(1) or Power Up(0) completion
Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
------------------
BUGCHECK_CODE:  9f
BUGCHECK_P1: 6
BUGCHECK_P2: ffffc908f898c010
BUGCHECK_P3: 0
BUGCHECK_P4: 0
PROCESS_NAME:  System
SYMBOL_NAME:  nt!PopFxEnforceDirectedPowerTransition+c1
MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x9F_nt!PopFxEnforceDirectedPowerTransition
FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {3a526de2-2a14-c8eb-842b-62f21361ee39}
Followup:     MachineOwner
---------

Log of the "dt _POP_FX_DEVICE command" in WinDbg

6: kd> dt _POP_FX_DEVICE ffffc908f898c010
nt!_POP_FX_DEVICE
   +0x000 Link             : _LIST_ENTRY [ 0xffffc908`fc46ba30 - 0xffffc908`d2d39a20 ]
   +0x010 Irp              : 0xffffc908`fb94a010 _IRP
   +0x018 IrpData          : 0xffffc908`fb4ad1e8 _POP_IRP_DATA
   +0x020 Status           : _POP_FX_DEVICE_STATUS
   +0x024 PowerReqCall     : 0n0
   +0x028 PowerNotReqCall  : 0n0
   +0x030 DevNode          : 0xffffc908`efa7fbf0 _DEVICE_NODE
   +0x038 DpmContext       : 0xffffc908`fbbe6dc0 PEPHANDLE__
   +0x040 Plugin           : (null) 
   +0x048 PluginHandle     : (null) 
   +0x050 AcpiPlugin       : (null) 
   +0x058 AcpiPluginHandle : (null) 
   +0x060 DeviceObject     : 0xffffc908`f247b870 _DEVICE_OBJECT
   +0x068 TargetDevice     : 0xffffc908`fb976dd0 _DEVICE_OBJECT
   +0x070 Callbacks        : _POP_FX_DRIVER_CALLBACKS
   +0x0c0 DriverContext    : 0xffffc908`f8bbf120 Void
   +0x0c8 AcpiLink         : _LIST_ENTRY [ 0xffffc908`f898c0d8 - 0xffffc908`f898c0d8 ]
   +0x0d8 DeviceId         : _UNICODE_STRING "\_SB.PC00.XHCI.RHUB.HS09"
   +0x0e8 CommonReferenceFlags : 0n1
   +0x0f0 RemoveLock       : _IO_REMOVE_LOCK
   +0x110 AcpiRemoveLock   : _IO_REMOVE_LOCK
   +0x130 WorkOrder        : _POP_FX_WORK_ORDER
   +0x168 IdleLock         : 0
   +0x170 IdleTimer        : _KTIMER
   +0x1b0 IdleDpc          : _KDPC
   +0x1f0 IdleTimeout      : 0x5f5e100
   +0x1f8 IdleStamp        : 0x00000014`b13ee89d
   +0x200 NextIrpDeviceObject : [2] (null) 
   +0x210 NextIrpPowerState : [2] _POWER_STATE
   +0x218 NextIrpCallerCompletion : [2] (null) 
   +0x228 NextIrpCallerContext : [2] (null) 
   +0x238 IrpCompleteEvent : _KEVENT
   +0x250 PowerOnDumpDeviceCallback : (null) 
   +0x258 Accounting       : _POP_FX_ACCOUNTING
   +0x338 Flags            : 0x20
   +0x33c ComponentCount   : 1
   +0x340 Components       : 0xffffc908`fb4ad010  -> 0xffffc908`fb4ad018 _POP_FX_COMPONENT
   +0x348 LogEntries       : 0x40
   +0x350 Log              : 0xffffc908`fb4ad2e8 _POP_FX_LOG_ENTRY
   +0x358 LogIndex         : 0n243
   +0x360 DripsWatchdogDriverObject : (null) 
   +0x368 DripsWatchdogContext : _POP_FX_DRIPS_WATCHDOG_CONTEXT
   +0x390 DirectedTimeout  : 0x78
   +0x398 DirectedWorkOrder : _POP_FX_WORK_ORDER
   +0x3d0 DirectedWorkWatchdogInfo : _POP_FX_WORK_ORDER_WATCHDOG_INFO
   +0x480 DirectedLock     : 0
   +0x488 DirectedTransitionCallCount : 0n0
   +0x490 DirectedTransitionState : _POP_FX_DEVICE_DIRECTED_TRANSITION_STATE
   +0x4a0 PowerProfile     : (null) 
   +0x4a8 FriendlyName     : _UNICODE_STRING "Goodix Moc Fingerprint (\_SB.PC00.XHCI.RHUB.HS09)"

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 11th, 2021 03:00

Try the below methods and check if that helps: 

Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

1. Open Command Prompt.
  1. Select “Run as Administrator”.
  2. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Now check for the issue.

Method 2: Run the DISM Tool.

If the issue persists, I would have you run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files. 

1. Click on 'Start'.
  2. Enter 'Command prompt' in the Search box.  
  3. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click 'Run as administrator'
  4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 11th, 2021 06:00

Since you have reinstalled OS already there's very little left to Try. Dell support may have a correct logic and Motherboard may be the Culprit 

1. Use Hibernation instead, set Hibernation timer to 20 minutes (helped in some cases) 

OR 

2Turn off connected standby mode. 

Open CMD as admin 

powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Now in order to validate commands ran properly 

Powercfg -a

Output of the command should say Network Disconnected

7 Posts

September 11th, 2021 11:00

Hi AdrianG001,

thanks for your suggestion.

Anyway I have already tried those commands, moreover as XPS_Man has pointed out I have reinstalled the OS too and the notebook keeps having the same issue.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2021 12:00

Hi XPS_Man,

thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I think I am going to try the second one that you proposed "Turn off connected standby mode".

However, before doing that I would have a couple of related questions:

Your insights are valuable. Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 11th, 2021 13:00

I recommended motherboard as OS was reinstalled, next logical step would be to troubleshoot hardware. 

Commands do not impact block sleep they are controlled from bios and there is a separate option, I copied them from an session I had with dell's level 3 engineering team 

7 Posts

September 11th, 2021 14:00

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

I will try "Turn off connected standby mode" as you suggested and post here the results.

PS for other users

It seems that to disable network connectivity while in Modern Standby there are multiple ways as detailed in the webpage Enable or Disable Network Connectivity in Modern Standby in Windows 10 . The suggested commands match the third approach on that webpage.

7 Posts

September 13th, 2021 06:00

I tested the commands XPS_Man suggested to "Disable Network Connectivity in Modern Standby in Windows 10", unfortunately the system crashed twice since this morning. Therefore the issue persits.

I thank the community and in particular XPS_Man for the suggestions, but at the moment I can't be satisfied. This is my first personal Dell laptop and and the moment I am quite disappointed, anyway I am still looking forward for a solution based on proper anayisis and test from the Dell support.

Maybe I am wrong, but at this point (and considering similar issues  Dell S3 sleep mode - again and How to Disable Modern Standby for XPS 15 9500 ) simply proposing to change the motherboard without any further analysis (on the memory dump) would make me to lose even more time without a good reason.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2021 06:00

Hi everyone,

unfortunately I havent found yet a proper solution.

Dell support wrote to me some private messages saying somehow that they have raised/will raise the issue with the engineering team.

I hope they can find the solution or write to me that, considering the analysis, they are really confident that my notebook problem is hardware and that a motherboard replacement will fix it.

In the meantime I have found that disabling completely "Modern Standby" is a workaround for my Windows10 20H2 version.

To do that you have simply to open the PowerShell and send the following command and then reboot the PC.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

See Microsoft Docs for reference and note that you can check which power mode are supported and enabled using the command.

powercfg /a

Anyway as I wrote this is a workaround and not a solution indeed this enable S3 standby that is considered legacy standby while "Modern standby" should work properly on new systems (See for reference Modern Standby vs S3 ). Moreover even though I am now 99.99% sure that "Modern standby" triggers the issue I am still not sure if the issue is software (OS or driver) or hardware.

September 27th, 2021 17:00

Any luck with this? Experiencing exact same issue. What did Dell say?

3 Posts

September 27th, 2021 20:00

Hi,

Incorrect power settings are one of the possible reasons why your computer shuts down after it enters sleep mode. We suggest that you try running the Power troubleshooter to troubleshoot the issue. You can follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key+ key on the keyboard and select
    Control Panel.
  • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
  • Click on View all on the left navigation pane. Click on
    Power
  • Click on Advanced on the power troubleshooter dialog box and click on
    Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
  • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
    Power troubleshooter

If the issue persists, kindly try to follow these steps to reset the power settings:

• Press Windows key + from your keyboard.
  • Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    from the context menu.
  • In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes and press
    Enter.
  • Exit command prompt.

Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed. I suggest you check whether you are getting the sleep option after resetting the power settings.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

7 Posts

October 20th, 2021 14:00

Hi @MichaelP_NeedHelp ,

unfortunately a proper solution has not been found yet.

Dell support kindly offered to replace the notebook but I still have to receive the replacement that seems to take a bit more than 30 days since it has been requested.

Anyway a couple of days ago I tried to update to Windows 11 and at the moment it seems that this makes the problem disappear. I will try again with Windows 10 and Windows 11 when the replacement notebook arrives.

October 21st, 2021 11:00

I really appreciate your reply. I don't have the same exact laptop (I have an XPS 15 9510) but Dell is now telling me the only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows.... Just about had it with the terrible support all around here. I'm in college and can't just reinstall Windows because they can't make a proper driver. Seems like its entirely a driver issue. Memory dump shows the same of course. Let me know how Windows 11 works out for you.

November 10th, 2021 09:00

Email to Dell Support,

Okay I just purchased this new laptop to replace my old Dell lnspiron from 2018.  I now have spent over 3 hours last couple days trying to resolve on other Dell laptops since September.

This Dell Inspiron 13 was just purchased from Costco on 11/5.  

The Windbg gets me to the same point as above,

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {3a526de2-2a14-c8eb-842b-62f21361ee39}

And this frankly is not helpful at diagnosing.  I have tried other things on other threads such as enabling hibernate but again to no avail.

So I am an IT type person using Microsoft since the 90s and I cannot isolate,  what about newbies?  And the direction seems to be  'reinstall Windows'.   Sorry I have not done this on a laptop in over a decade! Desktops are different because I usually upgrade hardware along with it.  I upgrade laptops by getting new systems.  There is no way I am going to waste billable consultant time reinstalling on a NEW laptop.   

If I do not get a fix for this by Friday 11/12 , I will take this back and get a new  laptop for next 3 years. My concern is simple - if this happens to a new system, imagine my concern as it ages. 

Chris

November 29th, 2021 05:00

Well,

Since I had some 'free' time during Thanksgiving, I did do a reset and reinstalled windows using the startup tool.

After a full install and reset (delete of my apps and Outlook accounts), I can report that it still does NOT work in a fresh state... 

This new laptop still cannot wake from sleep; it has the blue screen of death

{3a526de2-2a14-c8eb-842b-62f21361ee39}

issue with this completely non descriptive error hash related to the image name, 

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

Since I was now 'invested', however, I went further and tried each of these steps.

Steps for Fixing Windows Computers that Do Not Wake Up or Resume from Suspend or Hibernate Mode but Will Power On | Dell US

And I STILL get the BSOD.

So I will now return this laptop to Costco and choose another option for next 3 years. Needless to say, after spending ~  8hrs, I am very disappointed that this new laptop had this apparently unfixable issue. 

Chris

85 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 15:00

@DELL-Cares I don't see why do we spend months troubleshooting each case when it's a widespread issue. Pass this ASAP to the engineering team so they roll an update YESTERDAY! I've been wasting tens of hours to troubleshoot something that should have been spotted by the useless engineering team a long time ago.

S3 Modern standby is causing me frequent crashing on sleep mode, random waking up, device issues like bluetooth lagg. The forums is filled with similar cases. 

No Events found!