Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

92 Posts

November 11th, 2021 12:00

Inspiron 17 7706 2-in-1, HBR2 or HBR3 capable?

Are there information out for Dell Inspiron 17 7706 2-in-1? Should it support DP1.4 and HBR3? The specs does not tell anything about it.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 11th, 2021 13:00

@Augur  What product line are you asking about? Dell reuses model numbers across product lines, so something like Dell 7706 could refer to an Inspiron, OptiPlex, Precision, etc.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 11th, 2021 16:00

@Augur  The Inspiron 7706 has a Core 11th Gen CPU. The GPU built into that CPU supports DisplayPort HBR3 over USB-C/TB3, so I would expect the system to support it as well, but I agree it would be nice to see this mentioned in specs just to be sure that Dell didn’t introduce some kind of bottleneck/limitation with the motherboard design that prevents the GPU from operating at maximum capability.

1 Rookie

• 

92 Posts

November 19th, 2021 13:00

It seems that Dell itself does not know. Got a private message that Laptop supports HBR3 but does not support WD19. Asked that HBR3 should lead into 4K 60Hz support and this was also confirmed. After this got no reply anymore even after asked again if a internal ticket is opened because it does not work but it should. 

Will open an official ticket at the support and will see what is the outcome. As also my Latitude and Insperion have EC issues with actual WD19 docks I can perhaps combine it. Must be a firmware topic as it happens in every combination. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 19th, 2021 14:00

@Augur  For what it's worth, there have been multiple recent reports of people with HBR3 systems being unable to run 4K 60 Hz through a WD19.  I believe thus far I've seen this report with one Precision system and two Latitude systems.  My theory is that there's currently a firmware issue with the dock, but I don't know that for sure.  I sent them to Dell-Chris M, who edited my first reply in this thread, because he has managed to get other issues escalated internally within Dell, so I hope these problem reports eventually make their way to the people in a position to address them.  But the fact that you can't run 4K 60 Hz through a WD19 right now does not necessarily mean your system doesn't support HBR3.

No Events found!