Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 5482 wireless connecting briefly

Hi there

I posted a while back about my Wifi dropping sporadically but now it's become a lot worse. I writing this from an old Acer laptop that is absolutely fine on the wireless network I'm on - as are my flatmates' computers. For example - my Dell Inspiron 5482 connects briefly to the wireless before dropping out again on the 2G setting after 15 seconds and the 5G works better but after a while has  become sporadic again.

I've tried everything possible like changing the DNS server, flushing the DNS server, resetting the wifi receiver, resetting the modem just in case but nothing has improved it.

It's not really what I expect when you pay £££ for a hi-spec laptop for your work...!

Richard

July 2nd, 2019 13:00

Problem solved:

UNINSTALL SMARTBYTE !!!!

5.6K Posts

June 25th, 2019 14:00

@richsdixon wrote:

Hi there

I posted a while back about my Wifi dropping sporadically but now it's become a lot worse. I writing this from an old Acer laptop that is absolutely fine on the wireless network I'm on - as are my flatmates' computers. For example - my Dell Inspiron 5482 connects briefly to the wireless before dropping out again on the 2G setting after 15 seconds and the 5G works better but after a while has  become sporadic again.

I've tried everything possible like changing the DNS server, flushing the DNS server, resetting the wifi receiver, resetting the modem just in case but nothing has improved it.

It's not really what I expect when you pay £££ for a hi-spec laptop for your work...!

Richard

How old is your router?

Does it have new firmware that can be installed?

June 27th, 2019 14:00

Router is probably a couple of years old. The firmware should automatically update, according to what I've read from the provider (Virgin Media)

5.6K Posts

June 27th, 2019 16:00

@richsdixon wrote:

The firmware should automatically update, according to what I've read from the provider (Virgin Media)

I would verify you have the latest firmware.

July 2nd, 2019 12:00

Yep, I have the latest firmware: and the broadband provider refuse to let me have the latest router, so changing broadband provider might be a first move...

No Events found!