Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 2nd, 2021 05:00

Inspiron 5505, Ryzen 7 4700U reaching 100°C

Just got my new Dell Inspiron 5505 and everything runs great. Normal CPU temps are below 50 degrees Celsius.

If I choosing a gaming profile for graphics in AMD Radeon software, the CPU temperatures can climb up to 100 degrees Celsius on moderate games like Asphalt 9. On the standard profile, it keeps hovering around 70 degrees Celsius.

I was hoping to repaste the CPU and GPU with a better paste and see if it can make it run cooler.

I double-checked with Dell support regarding the warranty and they should it's find to repaste.

Has anyone else done this before in any new laptops and had any gains?

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

June 28th, 2021 22:00

Conclusion:

It turns out that the cooling system of the laptop is not good enough for the Ryzen 4000 processors. Repasting doesn't make any difference in this case. The heatsink and the cooling fan are too small.

This is due to the economical pricing of the laptop. They did cost-cutting in these components. However, it is not an isolated issue to this laptop. In fact, a lot of Ryzen gaming laptops running with dual fans are also facing this issue.

However, there are some things you can do to have an easier time with this laptop if you bought it or are planning to buy it,

Important Update To PROPERLY DISABLE Boosting 

Once this is done, your processor will run without boost mode which is more than enough for basic tasks like browsing or watching movies. At least, in this case, the temperature will be under 50 and will not cross 60.

In case, you need more performance from the CPU, you can change to the high-performance profile in the power plan with Processor Performance Boost Mode in Aggressive mode.

• 

25.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2021 19:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Overheating, Fan Noise, Freezing, Blue Screens, Slow or Lagging Performance

April 18th, 2021 08:00

Hi facing the same problem...as soon I do anything intensive temperature reaches as high as 100 c ...did you find the solution..did applying thermal paste help?

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

April 18th, 2021 09:00

I repasted the CPU but there is not much improvement. I think it's the way how it is. Update all drivers and see if there is any improvement. Also, what is your BIOS version?

April 18th, 2021 18:00

Yes I have the latest bios version and also has updated all the drivers......don't know if this is common problem in all 5405 and 5505 models

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

April 18th, 2021 21:00

• I suggest you to repaste the cpu with a better paste as the factory job seems to be shabby. 

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 20:00

I have the same model and the same problem.  So Dell, how long do you think it will take for my CPU to fail rfrom running at 104 ?

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

June 28th, 2021 22:00

No, but check the solution.

1 Message

July 9th, 2021 13:00

I have the same problem.  It seemed OK when I first bought it.  But, 1 year later, the temps often exceed 100 C just from browsing.  I am a long time Dell user (probably 6 different laptops over the years).  But I wouldn't recommend this one.

May 5th, 2022 00:00

I think I found the why. The end of the heatsink is loose, it is not connected to the fan. It can move up and down. If it moves down, towards the motherboard, it blockes the fan and air is not flowing through the fins

No Events found!