Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 10th, 2018 16:00

Inspiron 5570 - Ethernet keeps disconnecting

I've had an issue with the Ethernet connection since I bought this laptop, the Wifi works perfectly but whenever I try to use the Ethernet it keeps disconnecting for a few seconds every couple minutes. 

I've already contacted support and done all troubleshooting but nothing has fixed the issue, an engineer came and installed a new motherboard but the issue still persists. 

I've tried the following options 

- Update the network adapter software (manually and automatically)

- Windows Update + BIOS Update

- Put the wire inside another port of my router

- Uncheck the "Allow to shutdown this hardware for energy saving"

I discovered that if I change the "Speed and Duplex" in advanced settings to Half Duplex this issue stops, but this also means I don't get half of my internet speed. 

starting to worry this is a product flaw, anything else I should try? 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 12th, 2018 07:00

@rogertmalgwrote:

I've had an issue with the Ethernet connection since I bought this laptop, the Wifi works perfectly but whenever I try to use the Ethernet it keeps disconnecting for a few seconds every couple minutes. 

I've already contacted support and done all troubleshooting but nothing has fixed the issue, an engineer came and installed a new motherboard but the issue still persists. 

I've tried the following options 

- Update the network adapter software (manually and automatically)

- Windows Update + BIOS Update

- Put the wire inside another port of my router

- Uncheck the "Allow to shutdown this hardware for energy saving"

I discovered that if I change the "Speed and Duplex" in advanced settings to Half Duplex this issue stops, but this also means I don't get half of my internet speed. 

starting to worry this is a product flaw, anything else I should try? 

try different new cable ?

1 Message

October 5th, 2018 06:00

I also have the same issue. I use my laptop for my Homebase job and uses VoIP.  I have a Lenovo 310 and never had this issue so it is definitely not the cable. This is very irritating. I also contacted tech support and did everything, but the issue still persists. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 5th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused & I will be glad to look into this for you.

Did this start after any recent Windows update or software changes?

Do you get any error message in the notification bar when the network disconnects?

Is the cable frayed or the retainer tab lose? Is there any visible physical damage on the ethernet port? Is there any change to the connection when you move the system?

Type network troubleshooter on the start menu & run the app & check if there is an error detected.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

3 Posts

November 16th, 2018 23:00

I’m having the same issue. My 5570 laptop only has the ethernet disconnecting problem when connected to virgin media hub but an old lenovo laptop doesn’t have any problems. Other internet providers I’ve tried the Dell laptop is ok and connection stays on.

RESOLVED - finally found the solution. For anyone else with this issue:

Go to Device Manager, network adapters and find the ethernet one.

- right click for properties - advanced 

Disable Energy efficient ethernet (and or green energy) and Wake on magic packet.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2019 08:00

Thank you. i have the same problem in Inspiron 3593, but this solution didn't solve  me the problem.

Ethernet keeps disconnecting

Any more ideas ?

1 Message

April 30th, 2020 10:00

Hi, 

For Windows 10:

Go to Device Manager

Expand the Network Adapters drop-down

Right-click on your ethernet port/device (mine is called Realtek USB GbE Family Controller)

Choose Properties and go to the Advanced tab

Select the Speed & Duplex property and change the value from "Auto Negotiation" to 100 Mbps Half Duplex

That worked for me and gives your data exchange a hard rule instead of allowing it to constantly calibrate itself.

Hope this helps.  

No Events found!