Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2020 07:00

Inspiron 5575 blocked VRAM size, really?

Hi, a few months ago I bought an Inspiron 5575, it comes with radeon vega and 256mb of vram.

Today I have updated memory to 32gb and I found Im not able to increase the VRAM?

New Adobe Suite requires a minimum of 512 VRAM, so I'm not able to use it in a pretty new laptop?

Really disappointed about this, is there any plans to update BIOS and able us to increase VRAM?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

June 11th, 2020 08:00

What you're terming "blocked" may not have anything to do with a BIOS setting at all.  It may simply be a design compromise brought about by the price point at which this system was designed to sell.

This is a budget system designed for a budget price point.  It was never intended to run intensive gaming - or demanding apps from Adobe.

The budget you have determines the features you get.

8 Posts

BTW, here is the link https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs6-system-requirements.html

just click on Photoshop CS6

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@webbi87  I admittedly haven't worked on AMD-based systems in a while, but it's been a LONG time since I've seen options to change the amount of VRAM allocated to the integrated GPU.  On my own Intel-based Latitude 7480, checking Windows Display Settings > Advanced > Display adapter properties reveals that the Intel GPU has 128 MB dedicated to it, but 8134 MB shared (out of 16 GB total in my system), which means the GPU is allowed to consume up to 8 GB if the system doesn't need that memory for other purposes.  Out of curiosity, what do those figures under Display Adapter Properties look like on your own system?

• 

17K Posts

webbi87,

I have not heard of any BIOS updates that will be coming anytime soon that would address VRAM.

Post the Adobe link that specifies that it requires 512MB VRAM.

• 

17K Posts

webbi87,

Click here to transfer the warranty and ownership of the system from Wallmart.

8 Posts

Hi, as you said, on advanced graphic properties I have:

- 16458mb available graphic memory

- 256mb dedicated memory

- 0mb system video memory

- 16202mb shared system memory

That's ok because it has shared memory from system memory, but some games and now Adobe suite requires 512mb of dedicated memory, which makes it useless.

My point is why Dell need to block it from BIOS other than make products useless and forcing to buy new ones?

8 Posts

@nyc10036 you really think that? what about new apps/games after I bought it? Is there any Inspiron5575 specs that advice about blocked BIOS?

Adobe suite is just an example, my claim/question is simple, why do Dell need to block BIOS advanced settings? whats the point of doing that?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

current system requirements of latest Adobe Photoshop  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

It states that 3D features are disabled on computers having less than 512MB of VRAM.  

The earlier releases https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html also states 

1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB or more of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended*

Sound like you bought your laptop without doing due diligence!  Not Dell's problem.

8 Posts

Jesse, is there any other channel where I can fill a claim?

I think this is a very bad move from Dell... I have a new laptop that is not useful anymore! blocking these type of settings sounds like a way to deprecate products and force us to buy a new one.

I'm totally dissapointed about this, I expected some more customer care.

• 

17K Posts

webbi87,

Click here to transfer the warranty and ownership of the system from Walmart.

• 

25.7K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

@webbi87 

You lose all credibility when you change the goal post!

Now that you were caught with a lie, you change your story. Very bad.

1 Message

August 13th, 2023 13:50

I realise I'm a little bit late to this, but you can use the smokeless_UMAF tool from github to gain access to the locked BIOS options including the UMA buffer size.

Tested under Windows 11 and my dedicated VRAM is now 2GB. I tested it by running unigene Heaven, while the framerate is still pretty poor (to be expected) it does allocate more than the 256mb factory standard without issue.

I'd love to know what Dells excuse is for not doing this is, as clearly there isn't a hardware limitation here.

No Events found!