CalComEd
1 Copper

Inspiron 5579 Active Pen compatibility question.

I recently picked up an Inspiron 5579 2-in-1 with Active Pen support, and am looking to buy a pen for it. It looks like Dell suggests the PN338M as the pen for this laptop, but I was wondering whether other Dell Active Pens, like the Premium PN579X, are also compatible.

Are Active Pens a universal accessory (e.g. any active pen will work on any device)? Are they manufacturer specific (any Dell Active Pen will work on my 5579)? Or are they model specific (ONLY the PN338M will work on my 5579)?

The PN338M is a pretty basic pen that doesn't even include a tether, so I'm hoping that I can upgrade to something a little better. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies

Re: Inspiron 5579 Active Pen compatibility question.

Thank you for your message.  Yes, Premium PN579X stylus is compatible with this model.

An active stylus is not a universal device, this basically depends on the system model & LCD panel used (this will need a screen digitizer). Whereas, a passive pen is compatible with all touchscreens.

Note- These models come with both Pen-Enabled and Non-Pen Enabled panels. Only the models that have the “Support Active Pen” sticker on the palm rest support the Dell Active Pen PN579.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

Dell-SreejithRamesh
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

The compatibility chart does say it is compatible.  I wonder if the Bluetooth will work with your system since the 338 does not have Bluetooth.

It also shows using the linking mode MPP as opposed to AES, which is one of the options on the 579X.

And I will second the sticker comment as to will it work at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Good Afternoon

I have a Dell inspiron 15 5579, My pen PN338 doesn´t work.

How can I know my dell is compatible?

Carlos

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

First thing to check:  did the system ship with a "pen compatible" sticker on it?  If it did not,  it's a touchscreen model and will not work with an active pen.

0 Kudos
Paaaa
1 Copper

I have removed the stickers from my machine 5579 when it first arrived. How can I tell if I have a pen enabled display panel?
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Under settings/system/about, what is listed under 'pen and touch'?

0 Kudos
Paaaa
1 Copper

Hi

It has "Touch support with 10 touch points"

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

That's a touchscreen - you do not have an active digitizer (which is what you'd need for an active pen).
0 Kudos
Paaaa
1 Copper

Thanks for the help. Spent 30 mins on phone to Dell premium support only to be told active pen would work. So happy I checked here before ordering one. Many thanks.

0 Kudos