Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

July 16th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 7370, sleep, wake issues

Hi,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 7370 that is suffering from the same sleep/wake issue as others have in this post.

To describe the issue, the laptop goes to sleep and cannot be woken up, or gets stuck while going to sleep with a blank screen and frozen with fan spinning.  Holding the power button down for 5 or so seconds, then powering back on from scratch is the only way to get it out of this state.

There is no solution to this problem, but user kbj0001 found that setting Windows 10 power setting 'Screen off after' to 'Never' prevents the problem form occurring.  I've also found this to be the case.

I've tried the standard Windows Update supplied 2018 driver for Intel UHD 620 Graphics and the latest 2019 version from the Intel download centre, but the problem still persists if the screen is set to go blank after any minute length selected.

Does anybody know of a permanent resolution to this issue, while still being able to use the screen off power saving option, please?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 16th, 2019 08:00

Reinstall the Dell drivers instead of those from Intel. Dell drivers are customized for your motherboard. Intel's are generic.

Your sleep/wake problems might be caused by the Hibernation settings--not sleep settings. Disable Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep by opening Power Options, Additional Settings, Change your plan, Change Advanced settings and selecting Hibernation. 

Hibernation requires a brief press of the power button to wake the computer. It takes a little longer and looks like it is rebooting, but all the windows left open will still appear. You should try that to see if you want to use it. If a mouse or key click fails to wake the computer, try a brief press of the power button (do not hold it down) and wait to see if that wakes it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 16th, 2019 12:00

* Has Windows 10-1903 been installed? If yes, was the issue seen PRIOR to installing Windows 10-1903?
* In addition to Mary instruction of using our Dell OEM Intel UHD driver, are you running the Dell Power Manager Service version 3.6.0 and the latest BIOS 1.15.0?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 17th, 2019 12:00

Did you see my reply from yesterday?

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

July 24th, 2019 03:00

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your advice! Sorry for the late reply... I didn't get any notifications of replies to this thread.

I'm a full-time software developer and have previously been an IT system admin at a large corporate, in charge of Windows software/driver deployments and group policy, so I've checked everything I would expect to have any impact.

I've had Windows 10 releases 1803, 1809 and 1903, using the default drivers installed by Windows Update, then the latest drivers supplied on the Dell support page for this device and the latest versions from the Intel downloadcentre. All have the same issue. NB: this includes all related drivers, i.e. chipset, SATA controller and UHD graphics.

I've spent somewhere around a full 8 hour day looking at this problem (broken up into a couple of hours at a time) and the only workarounds I can confirm work are:

a) Set Windows power settings "Screen off" to "Never".
b) Disable sleep mode within "advanced power settings" and enable hibernation after X minutes instead.

Obviously these are workarounds though, not solutions to the problem. I'd prefer a solution, but I've since found other forum posts from other 7370 owners with the same issue and nothing has been found to resolve. I think I've spent enough time on it now, so will probably give up...

Thanks !

1 Message

September 7th, 2023 06:20

If you or somebody else still stucks with this issue, the solution is to turn off the Fast Boot in windows power management control panel window.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000129781/steps-for-fixing-windows-computers-that-do-not-wake-up-or-resume-from-suspend-or-hibernate-mode-but-will-power-on

No Events found!