Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

March 26th, 2020 18:00

Inspiron 7586 Fingerprint reader doesn't always work

I own a new 7586 2 in 1 Inspiron.  When I log in to a newly-turned-on laptop, I can use the fingerprint reader to login.  However, if the laptop has been sitting around "on" for a while and goes into a semi-sleep mode, I often can't use the fingerprint reader, but must switch over to the 4 digit numeric code for authentication.  What a pain.  The entire reader usefulness is random.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

105 Posts

March 27th, 2020 00:00

You can try:
On the Start screen, enter Device Manager, open the Search charm, and select Device Manager from the search results.
In the Device Manager, click Biometric or Biometric Devices to expand the list of identifiable biometric sensor devices. The fingerprint sensor will appear as "Validity Sensor" or "AuthenTec Sensor", depending on your computer model.
Device Manager with "Biometric Validity Sensor" selected
If there is no "Biometric" entry, then Windows does not recognize the fingerprint reader hardware. This is because the hardware is not installed on the laptop or the hardware is damaged. Contact HP for technical support or repair services.
If you have a "Biometric" item, it means that the device is supported by Windows.
To confirm that the Windows device driver for the fingerprint reader is the latest version; follow the steps in "Update Device Driver".

No Events found!