Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2021 06:00

Inspiron G15 5515, keyboard backlight, RGB problems

Recently picked up an new Inspiron G15 5515. Has anyone experienced issues with the keyboard backlight not working with the hotkey?

It is enabled in the BIOS and all driver are up to date. I can see it toggle to dark mode in the AWCC (Alienware Command Center), but it is not working. When working, it does it very sporadic.

I am thinking hardware issue or a bug that hasn't been caught. 

Thoughts?

2 Posts

July 17th, 2021 10:00

Hi all, I too had this same issue, got my g15 5515 a few days ago, first thing i did was go through dell updater and updated all drivers and bios to 1.2.0. Set in bios for rgb to never turn off on AC. Seemed to kind of work, able to modify lighting affects in alienware Cc. But when laptop awoke from sleep, rgb did not work unless on a reboot. Then after a day rgb wouldn't come on (even caps lock led didn't work) at all even after and during reboot. Factory reset windows and that didn't work either. Then rolled back bios to previous version 1.1.1 and finally rgb came back. Set power option to hibernate only and so far its been working normally. Afraid to update bios to 1.2.0 but would love to have mux switch. Definitely an issue with either the bios and/or alienware CC.

Otherwise, such a great laptop!!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 19th, 2021 08:00

All,

Reply to the private message sent to you by DELL-Cares with your private Inspiron G15 5515 service tag.

* Connect the external AC power adapter to the Inspiron G15 5515
* Disconnect all USB drives from the Inspiron G15 5515
* Uninstall AWCC and AWCC OC Controls
* Restart the Inspiron G15 5515 when done
* Install the July 5, 2021 BIOS 1.2.0
* Restart the Inspiron G15 5515  when done
* Install AWCC 5.3.2.0 and AWCC OC Controls 1.3.32.1360
* Restart the Inspiron G15 5515 when done
* Retest and post your results

5 Posts

July 20th, 2021 10:00

Hi Chris,

I have tried your steps many times as did Dell Tech Support.  It does not work.  Somehow, the PC force a keyboard lighting to be turn off after 20 minutes of sleep based on my testing.

Allen

5 Posts

July 20th, 2021 10:00

I did some playing around with the power settings to see how long is the sleep before the keyboard lighting totally off.  This is occurring on my G15.

* Sleep for 5 minutes, keyboard light turn back on when computer resume.
* Sleep for 15 minutes, keyboard light turn back on when computer resume.
* Sleep for 20 minutes, keyboard light turn back on when computer resume.
* Sleep for 25 minutes, keyboard light never turn back on computer resume.
* Sleep for 30 minutes, keyboard light never turn back on computer resume.

If I used hibernate instead of sleep, the keyboard light turn back on.

I am hoping Dell can fix this issue as I believed it is somewhere in the BIOS that cause the lighting to be totally turn off after a long period of sleep, especially greater than 20 minutes of sleep.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 09:00

Yeah, I updated to bios 1.2.0 and use hibernate and rgb works fine.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2021 17:00

I love a lot about this laptop, but the backlit keyboard problem is killing me. The first time I uninstalled AWCC and AWCC OC the backlight began working again. It went to sleep again and I haven't been able to get it back on since. Uninstalled and reinstalled the AWCC and AWCC OC again to no avail. 

I have setup the hibernate and sleep modes as suggested, but can't get the keyboard to light back up to even test it.*sigh*

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 20:00

@DELL-Chris M This seemed to fix mine.  I can now allow my laptop to go to sleep plugged in & on battery and the keyboard lights now come back on every time.  I'm not sure what my service tag is but I did not receive a private message for it either.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2021 16:00

I have updated the BIOS to v1.4.  It still did not fix the rgb keyboard lighting when it went to sleep.  The keyboard went dark after awoken from sleep. 

Still have to use the hibernate.

August 10th, 2021 18:00

I've experienced this issue on my Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition as well.  In order to spare others the same headache, I'll try to clarify the situation as much as possible.

The symptom: RGB Keyboard doesn't light up, or isn't responsive to AWCC changes, or isn't responding to the "Go Dark/Go Light" function shortcut.

The cause (one of): Letting the computer go to sleep, e.g. shutting the laptop without turning it off.

The solution that doesn't require uninstall AWCC (that worked for me):

1. Boot into BIOS setup (F2 before/when Dell logo shows up)
  2. Go to the second tab where you can see keyboard setting, it should say BRIGHT at the moment.
  3. Change it to DISABLE
  4. Go to last page, save changes and exit
  5. Login to Windows, open Alienware Control Center (AWCC).  Go to FX tab.
  6. Change the active theme light setting to something different. (not sure if required)
  7. Press the "Go Dark" soft button on the FX tab under active theme so that the current setting is "GO DARK".
  8. Restart your computer.
  9. Boot into BIOS again.  This time change keyboard back to BRIGHT.
  10. Save changes and exit again.  Keyboard should still be dark (even if you press the "Go Dark/Go Light" function button).
  11. Login to Windows, Open AWCC again. Go to FX Tab
  12. Press "GO DARK" soft button to disable dark mode
  13. Keyboards should light up again, probably under the default RED colour.  Change it under Active Theme to something else of your liking.
  14. The next time it happens again, rinse and repeat while cursing Dell's inability to fix this one simple problem.

I was able to fix this issue twice so far without reinstalling anything.  I wish you all luck.  Dell really should figure this out because it's really, really annoying.

1 Message

October 29th, 2021 12:00

DO NO UPDATE to Alienware Command Center 5.4.7.0 (and 1.3.50.1360 of Alienware OC Controls).  I updated and it broke my perfectly working RGB backlight.  I used the above solution and reverted back to 5.3.2.0 of Alienware Command Center (and 1.3.32.1360 of OC Controls) and it's working fine.

Do not let it auto update either as that's what broke it in the first place.

November 23rd, 2021 11:00

I have been having this problem as well, since I got the computer. Yesterday I reinstalled the new BIOS, deleted the Alienware CC and its OC, and then reinstalled everything. Got it working perfectly for one glorious night of gaming, put the computer to sleep, and this morning.....keyboard won't light up. 
This is very disappointing, and frustrating. I have tried troubleshooting this multiple times over the 4 months I have had this machine. Otherwise I love it. But the keyboard issue is killing me. 

November 25th, 2021 09:00

I was reinstalling BIOS  1.4 and that fixed it.  I'm going to try disabling SLEEP altogether and gave the power butting shut the computer off and closing the lid HIBERNATE

November 25th, 2021 18:00

I additionally can't utilize the hotkey, I turned the console to NEVER wind down in profiles, and after a concise rest mode, the console has not neglected to wind down and won't ever walk out on except if I restart the PC. on the off chance that this conduct isn't fixed, im apprehensive I may have to exchange this pc. im very frustrated. for one thing, an illuminated console shouldnt consequently turn off, and need a profiles level fix, that ought to be a product choice in particular, second off, the large scale ought to be a designed component that changes the regulator for the console.

1 Message

December 1st, 2021 02:00

Hey folks,

I just ordered a Dell G15 5511 Special Edition, with only the standard backlit keyboard. Not the 4-zone RGB backlit keyboard with WASD. Does anyone know if this issue effects all keyboards, or just the 4-zone version?

Many thanks in advance,

Lanx

1 Message

January 16th, 2022 07:00

Hey Lanx

Mine, standard backlight keyboard has this issue too..

No Events found!