Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2019 18:00

Inspiron G3 15-3590, does it support G-Sync?

Hello,

I purchased a Inspiron G3 15-3590 w/ a GTX 1660 Ti Max Q, is there a way to get G-Sync on this device using an external monitor?  I now the HDMI will not work, but will the Type C/DisplayPort connection work?  I do not know if it's tied to the iGPU or the 1660 Ti, which is basically my question.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

On every Dell laptop I've seen, including Alienware systems that are more gaming-oriented than anything else in Dell's lineup, the USB-C/TB3 port is wired to the Intel GPU, even if other display outputs are wired straight to the NVIDIA GPU.  The only semi-exception is the newer generations of the Precision 7000 Series, which have a motherboard design that allows them to offer a BIOS option for the user to choose which GPU directly controls the built-in display and the built-in display output connectors.  But I haven't seen that offered anywhere else.  So the overwhelming likelihood is that G-Sync would not be available on that system.  You might be able to confirm your system's wiring by checking NVIDIA Control Panel.  The PhysX Configuration section will actually show you which display outputs are wired to which GPU.  You might need to actually have a display connected to your USB-C/TB3 port, though.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2019 08:00

Thank you. 

1 Message

October 6th, 2019 01:00

I have the same laptop and with a lot of enthusiasm i had placed an order for an usb type c to display port converter.. but to my dismay i can assure you that the usb type c is connected to the iGPU.. sad

2 Posts

October 28th, 2019 05:00

I noticed that the user manual states that the USB C port is only present on the models with the higher spec Nvidia chips:  "USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C) port with DisplayPort (for computers shipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) ".

I read that as implying that the port is wired to the Nvidia chip.  If not, it seems misleading describing it in that way.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to play games on an external monitor using the Nvidia via the HDMI port whilst having a 2nd monitor attached via USB C (i.e. Where the game is running on the HDMI monitor only).  If so, I think that would be fine for me.  I'm fine with gaming on a single screen as long as I can also use the PC as a multi-monitor set-up for non-gaming purposes.

Thanks,
Simon.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 28th, 2019 05:00

EDIT:

USB C alternate display mode is only supported with thunderbolt 3 capable laptops. Or models that use specific GPU and support this feature.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln296826/guide-to-thunderbolt-3?lang=en

If the laptop only has USB-C its not working

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln296827/displayport-over-usb-type-c?lang=en

How will I know if the USB Type-C connector on my device supports DisplayPort over USB Type-C?

USB Type-C connectors that support the DisplayPort over USB Type-C will normally include the DisplayPort (DP) logo near the connector.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 28th, 2019 06:00

How will I know if the USB Type-C connector on my device supports DisplayPort over USB Type-C?

USB Type-C connectors that support the DisplayPort over USB Type-C will normally include the DisplayPort (DP) logo near the connector.

When it shows the thunderbolt 3 lightning bolt it WILL SUPPORT Display port.

I did not say always and I specifically show thunderbolt because many are confused as to thunderbolt docks and usb-c to display port connections.

My G7 7580 has thunderbolt 3 and supports egpu and display port over usb-c.

The 3590 doesn't support power or charging over USB-C.

One USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort (only for the models shipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti)

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/g-series-15-3590-laptop/dell-g3-3590-setup-and-specifications/set-up-your-dell-g3-3590

Types of USB Type-C ports:

• Power/Charge Battery
  • Data use only (select systems only)
  • DisplayPort over USB
  • Thunderbolt 3 device support (Optional on many systems)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

"incorrect statements like you did only makes that situation worse"

No what makes it worse is telling people that if they have USB-C connector they can use display port over usb-c for any model any time without issue.  Not checking the specs and or the DISPLAY PORT LOGO is not a good idea.

The DA200 dock is one of the models that people have that everything works EXCEPT the Video.  Thats why you need to see the DISPLAY PORT or Thunderbolt 3 logo if you want to use said device.

• Manufacturer part VK905
  • Dell part 470-ABQN
The Dell Adapter - USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0 connects your mobile computer to an external display with your choice of HDMI or VGA outputs.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-adapter-usb-c-to-hdmi-vga-ethernet-usb-30-da200/apd/470-abqn/pc-accessories

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@uksam  I know what you mean about the language suggesting that the USB-C port is wired to the NVIDIA GPU.  However, as I said in my earlier reply, in virtually every Dell system I've seen, the USB-C display output is wired back to the Intel GPU, the only exception being the recent Precision 7000 Series models where you get a BIOS option to choose which GPU has control of the outputs because their motherboard designs allow this flexibility.  My guess is that this system basically has a lower-end motherboard with no USB-C and no discrete GPU and then a higher-end motherboard with a discrete GPU and a display-capable USB-C port -- but the fact that those two components are on the same board doesn't necessarily mean that those two things are connected to each other.

In any case, yes you should absolutely be able to use the HDMI and USB-C display outputs simultaneously.  I've never seen a system where you could only use one of those at a time.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@speedstep  here I was thinking you were finally posting good information based on your own expertise, but it turns out your "types of USB-C ports" list was just another copy/paste from some other website and you just added Thunderbolt 3 to that list that you found elsewhere.  It seems like practically everything you post is just copy/pasting from somewhere else, usually without linking to the original source, rather than written from on any of your own expertise.  Sigh....

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@speedstep  my point was that you originally claimed that DisplayPort Alt Mode was only supported on Thunderbolt 3 systems.  If that were true, which it is not, then you would NEVER see a DP logo anywhere because any system that supported Thunderbolt 3 would either show a Thunderbolt logo or no logo at all.  A Thunderbolt system wouldn't show a DP logo instead of a Thunderbolt logo, and I've never seen a system show both a DP and Thunderbolt logo together.  But the point about logos was less important.  Your original claim that DisplayPort Alt Mode is only supported on Thunderbolt 3 systems was the larger problem, because that is completely incorrect.

I agree that many people are confused about different docking stations and technologies, and making incorrect statements like you did only makes that situation worse.  It's unfortunate that you don't ever bother to edit your posts to fix incorrect information.

The list of "types of USB-C ports" in your most recent post is better, although the "Data use only" portion is missing some distinctions.  First, all USB-C ports are required to have the USB 2.0 pins wired, even the ports that are only meant to be used for charging.  And second, even among USB-C ports that only support data, some of them only support USB 2.0, while other implementations support up to USB 3.1 Gen 1, and others support up to USB 3.1 Gen 2 -- so not all "Data use only" ports are the same.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@speedstep  it is not correct that "USB-C alternate display mode is only supported with thunderbolt 3 capable laptops."  First of all, it's called DisplayPort Alt Mode, not "alternate display mode".  But while it's true that all Thunderbolt 3 capable laptops support DisplayPort Alt Mode, it is ALSO true that there are other laptops with USB-C ports that DO support DisplayPort Alt Mode but do NOT support Thunderbolt 3.  Several Inspiron and Latitude systems work this way, and this is explained in their specs.  There are also other laptops with USB-C ports that do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode or Thunderbolt 3, but Thunderbolt 3 is not required to use DisplayPort Alt Mode.

As for the point about the logo marking, there are several laptops with USB-C ports that support DisplayPort Alt Mode that choose not to add the DP marking, so just because a laptop doesn't have the DP marking doesn't always mean that it doesn't support DisplayPort Alt Mode.  And on a Thunderbolt laptop, if there's a logo at all it will be a Thunderbolt logo, not a DP logo.  So if DisplayPort Alt Mode was only supported on Thunderbolt 3 laptops as you claim, then you would never see a DP logo because those laptops would always have a Thunderbolt logo or no logo at all -- but again, that claim is incorrect.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 28th, 2019 07:00

I have never said that anyone who has a USB-C connector can use DisplayPort Alt Mode.  I have also never advised anyone to avoid checking specs or to look for a logo.  I simply said that NOT having a logo does not always mean that something isn't supported.  If the logo is there, it's supported.  But if it's NOT there, then it MAY be supported.  There are SOME systems with USB-C ports that support DisplayPort Alt Mode even though they do not display a logo.

And seriously Speedstep, what's with you using this huge, colored, and/or bold text?  Making your text more prominent doesn't make what you say more trustworthy and certainly doesn't make it more correct.  It just makes it more obnoxious.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@speedstepyes some systems have Thunderbolt 3 as an option and the system builds that do not include that option just get regular USB-C.  So what?  And yes the USB-C DisplayPort interface is often wired to the Intel GPU, which makes G-Sync impossible.  I already explained that earlier in this thread and in other threads.  None of that changes anything that's been said before.

I found your USB-C port type list on multiple sites Speedstep, like this one.  It uses the exact same phrasing in the exact same sequence that you posted, except you added Thunderbolt 3 to the end.  Nice try.

Anyway, I'm done here.  The original questions asked in this thread have already been answered, and if you actually cared about reducing people's confusion, you would go back and edit your posts that contain confusing or incorrect information, like "USB-C alternate display mode is only supported with thunderbolt 3 capable laptops".  That simply isn't true.  There are systems that don't have a Thunderbolt 3 controller and don't even offer it as an option that can still use DisplayPort Alt Mode, like the Inspiron 15 7590 2-in-1 as just one example.  But editing your posts would require you to first admit that you were wrong about something, which I've never seen you do even though you've posted plenty of incorrect information around this forum.  See you around.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Wrong again

While many Dell systems are equipped with a USB Type-C port, many of these systems do not have the optional Thunderbolt 3 controller. These systems will have the USB Type-C port which can be used with Thunderbolt 3 on systems that are so equipped, but USB Type-C is the default port (Without Thunderbolt) for several systems. The other issue is that USB-C to DP goes through the Intel iGPU not the nvidia GPU. This would indicate that GSYNC is NOT POSSIBLE via Display port Alternate mode.

4K, 144Hz, IPS, G-sync, USB-C display port Alternate mode are not stated as compatible ever afaikt.  So the original question answer is NO its not supported.

"types of USB-C ports"

Was not taken from random Site.  The confusion with capability, and thunderbolt, and the connectors and docks like the DA200 are quite clear. This is also why the DA200 is ONLY for "select systems"

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305150/some-systems-with-usb-type-c-port-lack-a-thunderbolt-3-controller?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 28th, 2019 08:00

"I see that you edited that earlier post to add "Or models that use specific GPU and support this feature", but that's still not correct."  That information is from DELL not me. Again I posted the link to the exact site where I got that which is the SPEC page for the OP EXACT MODEL. This is where it says requires the NVIDIA GPU.

Under ports and connectors it SPECIFICALLY Says

One USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort (for computers shipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti)

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/g-series-15-3590-laptop/dell-g3-3590-setup-and-specifications/set-up-your-dell-g3-3590

Glossing over a non english site that you say I used the exact phrasing is nonsense at best and a deliberate false statement at worst.

No Events found!