Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

32 Posts

March 24th, 2019 05:00

Inspiron G5 15-5590, overheating problem

The cpu reaches 100C on every single game, undervolting doesn't help either. On Aida64 stress test it reaches 100C then throttles and becomes stable on 3.3 GHz with 84+-4C. I don't think that the cooler can deal with the heat of the cpu since it is a new cooling system design. Model: 2019 G5 5590 with RTX2060. Is Dell going to do nothing about it?

9 Posts

March 24th, 2019 09:00

Have you tried letting it pass air from below? the ventilation holes are located under the chassis. Which version did you have? the special edition ?

32 Posts

March 24th, 2019 13:00

Yes I have the special edition one (White on the outside). I watched a review of this laptop on YouTube basically has the same config as mine and it reaches 100C out of the box. Dell should do something about it, even with a cooling pad it's like 97C.

There are thinner devices on the market and the cooling on them is not that bad.

4 Posts

March 25th, 2019 05:00

Yea, i saw alot of Reviews about this Laptop and many complain about it overheating so im not sure to buy or not. But can i ask you a question, Does the laptop overheat even when just browing, editing some videos? or when playing at low settings?

32 Posts

March 25th, 2019 06:00

Browsing and doing normal stuff it's okay. Any CPU load is gonna make it overheat because Dell is pushing a lot of wattage to the CPU and it is not just the g5 even the g7 has the same issue. 

Btw there are 5 thermal settings you can chose between optimized quiet ultra performance and cool. The 3 first modes don't help with temps it's gonna be always 100C, cool on the other hand although it does what it is supposed to do keeping the laptop cool, and by cool I mean 70~80C, does make games unplayable. 

I hope Dell releases some kind of bios update to fix this. 

4 Posts

March 26th, 2019 07:00

Okay thanks for the answers, i was going to buy this Laptop but after i saw alot of complaints about heating i changed my mind

3 Posts

April 25th, 2019 05:00

I recived the black standard version of  the same g5 model and I noticed that the White special edition has smaller air grids because of Dell inserted the useless transparent plastic window. I haven't tested my black version yet, but maybe the airflow of the two versions may be slightly different. 

2 Posts

April 26th, 2019 04:00

Yes overheating is real problem.

11 Posts

April 26th, 2019 04:00

Did you start experiencing problems, straight away, or after some time, like 3 months or so, If you started experiencing them after some time, the problem lies in the crappy thermal paste dell uses for the inspiron series, which dries out after a short time, so you just need to re -paste it, and everything should be fine, in the other case where it was straight away, you could try doing the same thing as it couldve been applied in the wrong way, as well as you can install the latest intel chipset drivers and Intel dynamic platform and thermal framework drivers, as well as install the latest version of bios, hope this helped 

12 Posts

April 30th, 2019 22:00

This is a common issue with I7 8-9 generation processors in laptops. What I have seen and what I did is to undervolt the cpu and a little underclock and it will help with the temps to be around 80s, max 90s when playing. You can find how to do it in youtube for these processors since there are many brands with same issues. 

September 18th, 2019 06:00

Got 2019 G7 today morning, having the same issue out of the box. I dont play games, the only reason i bought a gaming laptop because it can handle heat efficiently. I was just browsing and laptop is getting heated, I primarily use MacBook Pro its never became this hot. I dont know if i'm comparing it to the Mac and saying its getting hot? but i definitely feel the hotness

January 7th, 2020 09:00

I have the 16GB DDR4 RAM/i7 9750H/GTX1660 Ti version of the G5. The CPU overheats like crazy! I mean, the notebook resets itself sometimes by triggering some CPU overheating protection. I was so frustated by that...it's a really expensive notebook here in Brazil. So, after some digging on Google, I decided to re-paste and undervolt the CPU.

I applied the Cooler Master Gel Maker Nano the first time...but it was not enough.The CPU kept overheating, reaching 100 Celsius easily! I had to re-paste it a second time with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal). I've also undervolted the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to - 0.150V.

Now the randomly resets have stoped and the CPU temps never gets above 90 Celsius. It hovers around 60 to 80 most of the time. It's still hot, but at least I could manage it and stop the CPU from throttling.

I'm runnig the latest drives and BIOS (CPU-Z reads version 1.11.1 date 11/11/2019) to this date.

Dell's design for this notebook cooler is totally underestimate in my humble opinion.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2020 17:00

hey @AlexandreNDJ 

which liquid metal thermal paste are you using again???

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is a non-metal thermal paste...I just bought it an hour ago...

The only liquid metal thermal paste Thermal Grizzly offers is (CPU-Cooler Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Flüssigmetall-Wärmeleitpaste)

and will the liquid metal oxides and mess with the cooling pipes?? I heard you can't apply it to aluminium heat sink...

anyways, thanks for the info man

January 11th, 2020 20:00

I meant Conductonaut! Sorry, my bad! Thank you for alerting me. I've edited my post and corrected it.

You: Will the liquid metal oxides and mess with the cooling pipes?

Me: No, the cooler is made out of cooper ... at least on my "brazilian" G5 it is cooper. Liquid metal is safe to use on copper and nickel plated copper too, but you've got to be careful not to mistake nickel plated copper with (for?) aluminum because they look alike.

There is a Gamer Nexus video on YouTube about liquid metal, how to apply it etc. They even applied it on aluminium to show the damage it does. It will stain cooper, but nothing beyond that, it won't hurt performance at all. Rest assured.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2020 16:00

@AlexandreNDJ 

hey man thanks for the advice!!

I will see how the thermal grizzly kryonaut works out~~

if it is not working well, i will for sure switch it to Conductonaut~~

btw i wanna ask what kind of preventive measures have you made to prevent liquid metal from getting around ( messing with the resistors)? and did you apply new thermal pads to the surroundings? 

THNAKS  

Brian (From Hong Kong)

January 12th, 2020 23:00

issue as mentioned CPU + gpu combo way too powerfull.

I had almost 100c temps on my G3 i7 model while gaming, disliked it instantly but i knew i dont need such power for gaming.

Using "Throttle Stop" to reduces Ghz for some cores from 4Ghz to 3Ghz reduced temperatures down by 30c.

Should try that before messing with liquid metal.

No Events found!