Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Message

May 22nd, 2019 01:00

Need help to pick between Dell Inspiron or Dell XPS models.

Hello everyone, I recently broke my MacBook Pro and need to quickly buy a new laptop this weekend and decided to switch to dell. I have my choices down to a $2,000 XPS or a $1,200 Inspiron, they are both 15 inch and from what I remember they both have 512 GB storage, 16 GB of RAM, and an i7 processor both 8th gen? I believe, I just mostly remember that they both have the requirements to run all of my engineering programs, but I’m not sure which one I should pick? Money is my biggest issue, is the $2,000 XPS that much better than the $1,200 Inspiron? The Inspiron is also on sale this weekend so that’s why it’s decently cheap.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 06:00

It would help to specify the exact system models you're looking at, since there are multiple 15" Inspiron models and even multiple 15" XPS models if you count the XPS 15 2-in-1.  Since you only mentioned specs, if those items are the only things you care about, then yes the Inspiron will give you similar performance for a lower cost.  However, saying "an 8th gen i7 processor" isn't a precise comparison at all.  Most systems use the U Series processors that are designed to operate at low power.  The XPS 15 systems use H series processors that are much faster.  And not all i7 processors have the same clock speed or the same number of cores.  If CPU performance is important to you, I would go to ark.intel.com to check the specs of the specific CPUs you're looking at.  They have a useful tool that allows you to compare them side-by-side.

But more generally, there will be (or at least might be) differences in other areas you may care about.  For example, the Inspiron might use a SATA-based SSD while the XPS uses NVMe SSDs.  The Inspiron might have a lower-end WiFi card (this might be harder to determine, unfortuntely).  The Inspiron system will likely not have Thunderbolt 3 like the XPS 15 does.  And the Inspiron will likely have a plastic chassis rather than an aluminum and carbon fiber chassis.  But again, since you didn't specify the models you're looking at, it's hard to tell.

I will say that if you're used to a MacBook Pro, an XPS 15 will feel much more like what you're used to than an Inspiron system.

No Events found!