Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2022 13:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Realtek Audio driver causing audio and video delay

I have an Inspiron 7506 2-in-1 that is less than a year old. For over a month now I've been experiencing delays in audio and video loading. For example, YouTube videos will buffer for about 20 seconds before starting or will simply display an error message ("If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device").

After testing on multiple browsers and websites, I've determined the Realtek Audio driver to be the problem. I'll list everything I've tried below:

1. Disable the driver. Videos load successfully without any buffering, but the laptop cannot play any audio.

2. Install Realtek Audio driver version 6.0.9098.1 (As suggested by 505Kelvin in this thread <https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Restart-has-become-very-slow/m-p/8065635/highlight/true#M91840>). This fixed the issue for three days, but it has stopped working again since yesterday.

3. Install Realtek Audio driver version 6.0.9257.1 (As suggested by 
wiz101 in this thread <https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-Realtek-driver-6-0-9210-1-static/m-p/8095658/highlight/true#M93058>). This did not work.

4. Install Realtek Audio driver version 6.0.9228.1. This did not work.

5. Install Microsoft High Definition Audio Device version 10.0.19041.264. This DID work, but the sound quality is worse.

Although it fixes the issue, the Microsoft driver isn't the ideal solution since it sacrifices sound quality. Is anyone else dealing with this issue, or does anyone have any ideas? I truly appreciate any help!

• 

16.7K Posts

June 24th, 2022 05:00

Issue resolved after performing the following.

1 - I downloaded the older driver file below:
Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_3HWW7_WIN_6.0.9202.1_A04.EXE (03 set 2021)

2 - I ran the older driver and It removes the most current driver and installs this one (September 2021)

3 - I disabled Windows Update because it comes back with the latest driver and the error persists

4 - Even so, to ensure that the audio driver will not be updated, I have included the following changes in the windows registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
"DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
"DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
"1"="INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0236"

1 Message

January 2nd, 2022 22:00

I have the same problem with my Inspiron 7400 and I did the same analyze (with 6.0.9172.1 -> no problem and 6.0.9228.1 -> problem) !

4 Posts

January 6th, 2022 13:00

Thank you for your reply! I went and updated my driver to Realtek Audio 6.0.9172.1 since I hadn't tried that one yet. It worked, but after three days the issue is unfortunately back again (today).

Maybe worth mentioning: when I checked the driver information, it was actually on 6.0.9228.1, meaning it somehow updated on its own at some point? But when I updated back to 6.0.9172.1, the issue still remained.

1 Message

January 6th, 2022 14:00

Same computer and same audio problems.  Windows OS and Dell update checks keep trying to install this problematic audio driver.  I would recommend the proposed roll-back and turning off auto-updates for drivers to be selective about installing 6.0.9228.1

4 Posts

January 6th, 2022 14:00

Having the same problem from the beginning on a 7706 2-in-1 and googeling a lot, the solution I found was disabling the new windows service "Agent active runtime..." introduced in win-1901 or whatever:

What you have to do is to disable a windows service called "Agent Activation Runtime..." with some odd number appended to it.

This will likely turn off Cortana services and some such, but me personaly I don't use that anyway.

The one thing you have to do inside of a ADDMINISTRATIVE powerschel:

set-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AarSvc*" -Name "Start" -Value 4

After that sound did work fine for me, what are your experiences?

4 Posts

January 6th, 2022 16:00

Marvello: thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately the roll-back function doesn't change anything for me, as whatever driver it rolls back to does not solve the issue either. However, I have disabled auto-updates for the future!

Martlled: thank you for your suggestion! I disabled the Agent Activation Runtime service as you said, but unfortunately it has made no difference. If it's relevant, I already had Cortana services disabled before all of this. For other's reference, what I did follows what was explained in this thread <https://superuser.com/questions/1478298/windows-10-service-called-aarsvc-70f961-what-is-it-and-how-could-i-disable-it>, except I used Martlled's command in PowerShell.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2022 13:00

Hi ally88,

just do disable all Cortana stuff is not ehough to also diable the windows service that is related to it.
Context: No matter if you enable/disable Cortana, you still have the windows service hanging around, blocking your audio output, at least on a Dell

HTH, Mart

4 Posts

January 8th, 2022 11:00

Sorry, I might not have been clear in my last reply! I did disable the Windows service "Agent Activation Runtime" by using the Powershell command, and if I check the values in the Registry Editor, the number has indeed changed to "4". I'm not sure why it didn't change anything though!

2 Posts

January 8th, 2022 18:00

same problem.... worked fine on my new laptop for about a month - but now I'm experiencing the same thing.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2022 03:00

I've got the same problem with a Latitude 3520. Anything with audio doesn't start playing until about 30 seconds later. We have 54 machines and all of them work when they are freshly imaged but after a while some of them develop the problem again.

We've done some investigation comparing machines that do have the problem with those that don't and it seems that a Windows Update driver update called "Dell - Extension - 1.7.2.540" may be causing the issue. 

The machines that worked and didn't work all had the same Realtek Audio Driver versions (6.0.9163.2) but if you looked under the Events tab the ones that had the delayed audio issue had an event where the device is configured with the Dell Extension driver. Looking at the time of the event we could see that the driver had come from Windows Update.

We are still working to solve the issue as just rolling back the driver does not work. We have used group policy to prevent drivers from being installed from Windows Update but it would be good to know how to fix this problem properly.

I thought I would add my experience to this thread as it seems to be the only one that is about the same experience we are having. Hopefully this may help.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2022 05:00

Thanks for sharing your investigations, hdbcehs.

Please let us know as soon as you have any results. Different from my first post just disabling the "Agent Activation Service" didn't help long, then it got back to the old hang-szenario.

BTW, what's the group policy can I use to disable windows update? Thanks.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2022 06:00

Ignore my post regarding the Dell Extension - I don't think this is the issue. However, I would be interested to know if anyone else has an Intel Smart Sound Technology controller and OED that has an event saying that the device did not start. All of my machines seem to say this and I wonder if it is related?

2 Posts

January 24th, 2022 17:00

same problem on Dell Inspirion 2021, only work fine if i roll back and manual install this one Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_RRDXF_WIN_6.0.9098.1_A04_01... sadly have to disable the auto-update for weeks to dont get it automatic again. Hope they see this thread and update asap. 

5 Posts

January 25th, 2022 09:00

The problem seems to stem from the drivers loaded for the Intel SST Audio Controller under which the OED and then the Realtek Audio device connects. If I do a clean install with the previously released (not the latest but the version before) audio drivers from Dell everything seems to be fine until it downloads the latest drivers from Windows Update. If I use the latest Realtek Drivers from Dell then it doesn't work. Rolling back drivers doesn't fix the issue straightaway. You need to completely delete the Realtek audio, Intel OED then the Intel audio controller and check the box to uninstall the drivers each time and then restart your computer and then reinstall with the correct drivers (not the latest) to fix the problem. However, the delayed audio problem will soon come back as soon as it gets the later drivers from Windows Update.

Theoretically disabling driver updates using this method: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10 should prevent drivers being installed from Windows Update but it doesn't stop them for us for some reason. Perhaps I'm missing something.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2022 11:00

After 3 days of testing, I can confirm installing the previous version of the Realtek driver does indeed work for me and does not show the audio-delay issue reported here by many users (and myself).

This is what I did:
- download the previous/older driver version from Dell website, in my case (Inspirion 7706) Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_HFP11_WIN_6.0.9172.1_A06.EXE
- execute driver installation package
- this will first uninstall the current driver (asking you if you really want to have the older version)
- reboot is asked for
- after reboot: installation automatically continues after some minutes
- another reboot question
- audio is working for me after the reboot, speakers and headphones, no delays !

Some more information of what I did in the course of solving the problem, which may not be necessary in successfully solving the driver issue outlined above.
It may be helpful to avoid the updating of the old driver version in future updates, but I didn't have an update yet to verify this.

1. I had to update the delivered Windows 10 Home edition to 10 pro edition to be able to use group policies (gpcedit.msc)
2. To disable any updates to Windows 10 (which might not be required) using group policies see posts above
3. You may be able to just disable driver updates for specific devices, see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html
,but I couldn't verify if this is working, yet.

No Events found!