Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

May 20th, 2019 10:00

Samsung 860 EVO too thick for 2.5" compartment in Inspiron 15 7000?

Hi! Bought a new Inspiron 7586 2-in-1. I want to install a 2nd SSD, following the instructions, but:

1. it does not fit (Samsung EVO 860 of 7mm is too thick for the compartment beneath the battery),
  2. the laptop is missing a bracket for SSD installation which is mentioned in Dell manuals,
  3. There's no connecting cable between SSD and Motherboard.

How to resolve?

Note:

1. Motherboard supports two storages: 1 M.2 and 1 SATA (marked as HDD1, see the photo).
  2. There is M.2 drive installed. I want to use the second one, SATA, which is under discussion.

BTW, Dell support in chat is inappropriately incompetent.

Thanks

Cannot set the battery with the SSD underneath in the compartmentCannot set the battery with the SSD underneath in the compartment

Only socket in the Motherboard but no connecting cableOnly socket in the Motherboard but no connecting cable

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 20th, 2019 13:00

Looks like a desktop ssd instead of one for a laptop. It needs to be a card ssd that fits in a laptop. Those plug into the board, no cables. See pg 25 for a picture and instructions-- https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7559-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Search for Samsung 860 ssd for laptops.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 20th, 2019 14:00

EDIT: Never mind.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@Mary G wrote:

Looks like a desktop ssd instead of one for a laptop. It needs to be a card ssd that fits in a laptop. Those plug into the board, no cables. See pg 25 for a picture and instructions-- https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7559-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Search for Samsung 860 ssd for laptops.

@Mary G  the OP said he has an Inspiron 15 7586, and you linked to the manual for an Inspiron 7559....

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Vadymm 

Is this your model???

Inspiron 7586 Service Manual

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 20th, 2019 15:00

@Vadymm  I've personally seen one Dell system whose model name I can't remember that only accommodated a 5 mm spinning drive in one of its bays.  5 mm drives are fairly rare though, so you might have trouble finding a retail SSD in that size.  As for the missing mounting bracket and interposer cable, sometimes Dell only includes those items if the system was actually ordered with a drive in that bay from the factory.  In that case, you can try purchasing them through Dell Spare Parts.  Or if you can find the correct part numbers for those items, you might be able to find them through other sources.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 20th, 2019 15:00

@jphughan 

From the OP's pictures that is the:  "Inspiron 7586 2-in-1"

That also looks like they need the SATA ~ ZIF connector to go to HDD1

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 20th, 2019 16:00

@Vadymm 

I think you may have another problem??? 

And its not the thickness of the HDD!!!

I have seen a few models with "Full Size" and "Half Size" batteries???

If you purchased the laptop with the M.2 SSD it could have come with the "Full Sized" battery.

If you purchased the laptop with the 2.5" HDD it would come with the "Half Sized" battery.

The only thing, is that the manual does not say anything about it???

Let me know what you think???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 20th, 2019 16:00

That's it @Vadymm 

You have the full length 4-cell battery!!!

Type:        3-cell Primus (42 WHr)         4-cell Primus (56 WHr)

Voltage:    11.40 VDC                            15.20 VDC

184.15 mm (7.25 in.)             233.06 mm (9.18 in.)

Inspiron 7586 Setup and Specifications:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7586-2-in-1-laptop_users-guide_en-us.pdf

Regards,

U2

2 Posts

May 21st, 2019 01:00

Thanks to all for replies. The issue still is not solved. Some clarifications:

1. Motherboard supports two storages: 1 M.2 and 1 SATA (marked as HDD 1, see the photo).
  2. The M.2 slot is occupied with a small drive, it's OK. I want to use the second one, SATA, for 2.5" drive which is under discussion. Seems that 7mm - the most popular form-factor nowadays - does not fit but I still hope for a workaround.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 21st, 2019 03:00

@Vadymm 

1. Yes one 2.5" SSD/HDD and one M.2!!!

2. M.2 occupied with M.2 SSD!!!

3.You want to install 2.5" SSD to "ZIF" connector marked "HDD1" on system board!!!

No workaround.

Your battery is the "Full Length" 56Wh battery "233.06 mm (9.18 in.)"

You need the shorter "184.15 mm (7.25 in.) " battery so the Samsung SSD will fit.

HalfSizeBattery.PNG

Please read my posts above.

Regards,

U2

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 21st, 2019 06:00

@Vadymm  I believe that @U2CAMEB4ME is correct.  Dell does indeed make some system models that have two battery sizes, with the larger, higher capacity battery occupying most or all of the space that would otherwise be used for a 2.5" hard drive.  Users then have the option to choose between additional storage capacity or better battery life, but you can't have both at the same time.  It seems your only option would be to purchase the lower capacity battery for your system to create enough room to install your SSD.  It's possible (even likely) that your 7 mm SSD will actually fit at that point.  The vast majority of systems support at least 7 mm drives.  I've worked on quite a few PCs and I've only ever seen one Inspiron model a few years ago that only supported 5 mm drives.  I'm sure there are more, but they're certainly not common.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 21st, 2019 07:00

I was disappointed to see the product page did not mention ordering the larger battery would preclude the ability of installing a 2.5" drive.  My 7567 is in the same situation but states so clearly on that page, if you choose the larger battery, you cannot use the 2.5" slot.

As has been mentioned, the standard battery will work with the second drive but the 56 hour battery will not.  The thickness of the drive is not the issue since the service manual shows an HDD being used.

If you think about it, would a system ever be designed for a battery to sit directly on a drive and cut off its ability to be cooled by by the system?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 24th, 2019 16:00

@Saltgrass  even ignoring the reality that Service Manual diagrams aren't always perfect, there are 5mm HDDs, like this one.

18 Posts

May 24th, 2019 19:00

Look in this thread, not counting the drive-which you have to modify the housing of by the way, you can get the parts on Amazon for under $20. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7586-Sata-HDD-cable-and-HDD-space-issue/m-p/6243048 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 24th, 2019 22:00

@DCELL 

What a Micky Mouse hack job that is.

Thanks for pointing out what not to do to a laptop and SSD.

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!