Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

June 1st, 2019 14:00

Secondary SSD drive installation

Just purchased Inspiron 5482 2 in 1 with Toshiba NVMe 256GB SSD; i want to have a secondary hard drive:

Can I install a 2.5 inch hard drive (ssd or regular 2.5) and what is the maximum capacity i can have? is it ok to have a 1tb or 2tb or does it have a limit?

also I would appreciate if someone can guide me through the installation and configuration.

I'm choosing between 

WD Laptop Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal (WD20SPZX) Black 2 TB

or

SATA SSD Solid State Drive Black/Blue/White 500 GB

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2019 07:00

You can go to the download site for that system and look at the manuals and service manual specifically.  It will show you how to do many things.  There may also be a specifications document you could check.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-14-5482-2-in-1-laptop/manuals

Situations which might effect your new drive is possibly the size of the battery.  If you had an option for a larger battery, it might block the drive install.  Also, is there a cable to connect the second drive, some systems won't ship with such a cable available.

The size of the drive is probably OK and a 2 TB drive should work.

No Events found!