Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

March 27th, 2020 01:00

Storage drives

Greetings all. I've searched around the net, MS, various pc sites, and here and am getting a bit frustrated with the overwhelming amount of useless or non pertinent information that I seem to come across when researching, well, pretty much anything these days. It's hard enough to get barbeque sauce for my burgers anymore, let alone try to find some decent information about my computer. So after a few hours without much more info than I have on my own, I'll just post a question and see how it goes. I'll start off with some info about my laptops and then let it rip. I have an older Dell Inspiron 15-3567. It's been a good computer but I decided I wanted a 360° hinged 2 in 1. I did some shopping around and ended up with a custom Inspiron 15-7586. It's got the Core i5 8265U, 24gb RAM, 256gb SSD, and a 2tb SSHD storage drive. I love it. I kinda wish I'd gone to a store and looked at sizes because I probably would have opted for a 14 or 13.6". The 15.6 is a bit big and heavy to really use as a tablet. I can't believe the have 17.6" models, phew! But regardless of the size, I do still love it. My old laptop is still in great condition and I have a lot of data and info on it, so I decided that since I got such a steal on my new one that I'd put a bit of money into it and keep it for a work pc. It was stock with the Core i3 7100U, 8gb RAM, and 1tb HDD. I really like the SSD and dual drive in the new one so I look into things and see that the 3567 doesn't have a dual storage drive option however looking a bit further into things I discover that I can swap the optical drive for a caddy mounted storage drive, and that's exactly what I did. So I got a second matching RAM unit to bring it up to the max supported 16gb RAM, I put a new Hynix Gold 500gb SSD in the C: drive spot and put the 1tb HDD into a caddy in the optical drive bay. I also put a new coin cell battery on the mobo, upgraded the 2.4ghz WLAN card to a dual channel 5ghz so I could use the bandwidth of my wifi and network with my other devices, put the optical drive into a USB 3.0 enclosure so I can still use it. I bought a new genuine Dell main battery even though the original is still in good health. It is 3+ years old and is down about 5% as far as how it holds a charge compared to when it was new. I had a little hiccup with the old drive as I assume that when I upgraded from Win 10 Home to Pro a short time ago, it must have encrypted the HDD with Bitlocker, but once I got logged back into my original Microsoft account, I found the key to unlock it. Now my issue is what to do with the old installation of Windows that's still on the HDD as I just did a clean install on the new SSD. I have most of my data as far as media, movies, music, pictures and what not separated out but I'm sure there's some stuff that's still embedded into program files, program data, etc. I can muster through there and extract that stuff manually if need be, unless anyone who's still reading this knows of an easier way? But aside from all that, What do I do with what's left of the old Windows installation files? Just go through and delete them? or is there an uninstall protocol? I don't know, I haven't had to do this before and I couldn't seem to find any decent info on it. Anything anyone can throw at me regarding this is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks if you took the time to read my small novel, and happy Delling.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 27th, 2020 08:00

I don't have the patience to read a long paragraph with many run-on sentences.

Give us the Cliff Notes version.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

April 4th, 2020 11:00

Well then, apologies. One site asks for all details possible, another wants none...

Whatever, anyway I wasn't aware this was a forum for writing lessons, but that aside;

What should I do with all the Windows 10 OS files that are left on an HDD that is now just a storage drive after replacing it with an SSD for OS?

Hope that's better, Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 4th, 2020 19:00

There really is no reason to keep Windows 10 on the HDD.

On PCs that came originally with Windows 10, the Windows product key is embedded on the motherboard so even if you get another SSD and install Windows 10 on it, Windows 10 will always activate.

One PCs that are upgraded to Windows 10, Microsoft's servers keeps a record of that so that if you change the SSD to another one and install Windows 10 on it, Windows 10 will activate when the PC goes online.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

April 4th, 2020 19:00

Is there an uninstall procedure that I can/should use or can I just manually delete it all after I go through and remove any data that I want to keep? I've been told to just leave it there in case I have any issues with the new SSD so that I can switch boot drives and start Windows with the old HDD but it's been long enough so that I think the new drive is fine. It's also a trusted brand and I have both DVD and flash drive recoveries for Windows 10 if I do have any problems. I'd rather just get rid of the Windows files and have the usable space.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

May 5th, 2020 00:00

Thanks, I do realize that. But my question is; is there any procedure or software solution to get rid of the files? or must I go through and manually delete the folders individually? Thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

May 5th, 2020 04:00

If there's nothing on the drive you need, you can use the disc manager to format the entire drive.

If you need to selectively remove files, leaving others intact - you will need to do that manually.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 05:00

There are quite a few files from the old windows that are left on the drive that I am unable to delete. It keeps telling me that I don't have permissions but I've changed all the permissions settings to "everyone, me, all users, system, etc" basically set permissions so that anyone in the world can do whatever they want with the files but still won't let me delete them and I do have a lot of data on the drive that I want to keep. I tried to back it up to another drive but then it still gives me errors about the windows files even if I deselect them while trying to transfer the other data to another drive. This is really bugging me. I've tried to work through it with Microsoft community but nobody over there seems to know why it's doing this... Any takers? 

No Events found!