Start a Conversation

Unsolved

ET

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 09:00

Touch screen ghost

I was playing a game on my Dell and suddenly the touch screen started ghost clicking. I restarted and now unable to login. I cannot type my password when it keeps ghost clicking like this Someone please help ! I cannot use my laptop.

9.4K Posts

February 12th, 2019 09:00

Hi Elvis Tran,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please post the model number of your computer for a more effective answer to your questions.  

Have you tried an external monitor to see if you are able to log in?

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or this is a software issue, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

51 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 13:00

I am experiencing this random ghost touch on my Inspiron 5559 subsequent to the Windows 10 Home update to Version 2004 Aug 22 and chronically since upgrading the RAM to 16GB Sep 1. I am pretty sure that I witnessed it occasionally before the RAM u/g and maybe even before the Windows u/d. Now it is making the PC unusable unless I disable the touch screen.  

The Windows driver dates from 2006 from Microsoft and no later version is available. There is no Dell driver and the system otherwise is up-to-date according to Support Assist except for the Intel HD Graphics driver which has a recommended security update available. 

Any advice?

51 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 20:00

The ghost touching issue is present in the Pre-boot Diagnostic.

1. Does this indicate that it is a hardware problem?
  2. Does the Diagnostic use any component of Windows 10 to support touch?

I can rule out any connection to the memory upgrade having reverted to the 8GB set and seeing the same issue. The Diagnostic passed the 16GB on the full 5-hour test.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 16th, 2020 02:00

1."Press Windows" key +"C" to select the search option

2.In the search box type "Device Manager" and click on it.

3.Select the "Human Interface Devices", in that right click on " HID-compliant touch screen" and select"Uninstall"

4.It will display the warning message "you are about to uninstall this device from your system" click ok

5.Now restart your computer and check the fucntionality of the touch screen.

This actually seems to have helped - only had some time last night to test it, but there weren't any ghost inputs when moving the screen. I think in doing this it has reverted the touch screen driver back to a much earlier release. Whether this will auto update and cause the issue again I'm unsure.

51 Posts

December 16th, 2020 10:00

Reacting to the two recent posts on possible fixes, I did neither yet my problem has disappeared (until the next reboot, maybe?). My touchscreen has been disabled since my prior post. As a first step, I re-enabled it in Device Manager and nothing untoward happened. It is still the same Microsoft driver from 2006. Was this a Windows 10 bug that has been fixed in the interim?

But I should reboot to be surer that the phantom touches are really gone...

51 Posts

December 16th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for posting this. It prompted me to revisit my problem as I posted earlier. Simply re-enabling the " HID-compliant touch screen" is all it took in my case and the screen remains touch sensitive and stable after rebooting. Because the driver is unchanged, methinks this was a Windows issue all along that has been fixed in some update since the onset of my problem. 

1 Message

March 5th, 2021 09:00

Hi! Did you fix your laptop with the ghost touch problem? If yes. Please help me. And share the info as how to resolve the issues. Thanks

No Events found!