Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

June 6th, 2020 01:00

Updating BIOS on laptop with broken display

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and am facing a problem. Please forgive me if I fail to describe my problem correctly.

I am using Dell G3 3590 i7 9750H with 1660ti Max Q. My laptop display is broken (Dell replacement is on the way but will take weeks due to COVID-19). I am currently using an Acer Gn246-hl monitor via HDMI (wired to nvidia gpu). I do not have access to BIOS or POST on external monitor and have tried all possible ways to get it.

The problem I am facing is that I have an urgent BIOS update and it installs correctly on windows. But as I do the compulsory restart for it to update firmware on BIOS, the monitor is blank (no access to BIOS) and I hear my laptop go on and off in an infinite loop(I have waited for hours). Whereas I was expecting the BIOS firmware update to happen in the background. So to get rid of the loop, I hold my power button to restart and I'm back to square one with an urgent BIOS update on my support assist.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 6th, 2020 02:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 6th, 2020 07:00

When the laptop is booting up quickly tap F12 to get the laptop to pause at the one-time boot menu.

Then Fn+F8 to get the display on external monitor.

See if that works.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2020 07:00

Hey, I tried this earlier and it didn't work. I tried a bunch of other methods too. But I'll try it again and keep you posted.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 6th, 2020 08:00

Thanks, keep us posted. ^VA

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2020 09:00

I would ignore that BIOS update until you get the new screen installed. if you have to uninstall Dell update assistant. You should never try to install a BIOS without your notebook is 100% up and running. Anyone of them can Brick your notebook. If you want got to your support page and download the BIOS have it ready on a USB Thumb Drive then boot to your BIOS and run the file from within the BIOS, if no BIOS Flash tool is there them try it from F12 Boot some computer have it there.

Really you should wait until you have a new screen and everything is running right. and then if you won't benefit from the BIOs just ignore it. Every Bios update is taking a chance of bricking your notebook.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for your reply. I shall wait for the same. But is there any way I can access BIOS on my system? Anyone with the same model can help me out maybe? 

No Events found!