Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

March 25th, 2019 13:00

Wired / Wireless Internet Speed Problems - Dell G3

Just purchased a dell G3 3579. My internet speeds are good but not as good as I have had in the past with desktops and other notebooks.

I have a laptop and my internet speed is slower than my wives by a lot. Even when mine is connected (wired) and hers is wireless.

Setup: Modem Netgear CM500V Router Netgear Wireless N Router MOdel TL-WR940N (Nighthawk)

PC: Dell G3 laptop (drivers updated) Wifi - 22mbps down (google speed test) and speedtest.net Wired - Internet Explorer - 70 down, Firefox 66 down, and chrome 22 down.

All processes and other programs have been closed out on my pc. I have restarted and checked drivers.

Wife - Macbook (2012/2013) (wireless connection) Her speed - 200Mbps down (google internet speed test) - with Chrome browser.

Any suggestions.....

I know for sure my Dell G3 should at least be getting similar if not better speeds than her laptop when connected through ethernet. Also, does anyone have a link or model # to upgrade the internet wifi adapter to a better one I know they are pretty cheap?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

First question is did you uninstall and disable Smartbyte? You have to disable it as well as it will auto download.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/How-can-I-block-SmartByte-on-my-laptop-7567/td-p/6109192

2 Posts

Did not. Never knew anything about this.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 25th, 2019 14:00

When you are looking around, could you also let us know which version of your Wi-Fi adapter is being used on that system?  There may be a newer version of those drivers in case it might help.  It does make a difference if you have an Intel 9560, 9461 or 9462...

The Smartbyte situation has caused problems for many folks.  The Rivet Networks rep told me there was supposed to be a user interface for Smartbyte you could start by running smartbyte.exe.  The software is there to manage you bandwidth,so there may be a chance it is limiting your bandwidth on one specific application and you just aren't seeing the full speed during your tests.  I probably need to install it on my 7567 again and see if I can find the user interface and test. 

If you look at the link speeds for your connection, what does it show in Settings-Network-view network properties for the Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet connections?

1 Message

September 16th, 2019 21:00

Thank you. I had this same problem... My G3 recently started getting just 12Mbits/s down over wifi and ethernet while other computers at home were getting 95Mbits/s down. This thread pointed me to Smartbyte. Found I had it installed. Opened the Smartbyte settings panel to see if I could configure it, but it just froze on me. Uninstalling Smartbyte restored my G3's network speed to normal. It's now getting 95Mbits/s down like my other computers.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2020 05:00

Thank you so much, that worked for me. uninstall the SmartByte works fine on my laptop and the Upload is now working properly.

No Events found!