Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2020 18:00

dell inspiron docking station

Hello! i was recently told I should try getting a docking station for my inspiron laptop, since I'm on it so much at my desk. I play games, stream, etc. I have a Inspiron 13-5368, according to my System info. How would I go about finding a docking station for my laptop? I've never had one before.

Is it worth getting one for this laptop? What would be some alternatives if not? thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@niin94  unfortunately that system doesn't have a connector that would be suitable for a proper docking station.  For full docking station functionality, you'd need a system with a USB-C port that supported video output and system charging (or optionally a Thunderbolt 3-capable USB-C port), and your system doesn't have a USB-C port at all.  Prior to USB-C, some systems had proprietary docking station connectors built onto the underside of the system that would connect to that vendor's docking stations -- such as the Latitude E Series laptops and the E-Port docks -- but your system doesn't have that either.  The only type of dock you could use in theory would be a dock that used technology like DisplayLink, such as the Dell D6000, which can connect to the system over a regular USB port.  However, that type of connection would not be able to charge your system, and the DisplayLink technology that allows the system to send a video signal to the dock over a regular USB port (which does not support a native video output like USB-C can) has some serious drawbacks, especially if you play games.  I wrote about those in detail in this thread if you're curious, specifically the post marked as the answer.

So unfortunately you don't have the right type of system to use a docking station. Sorry!

3 Posts

Aw, that's a bummer! Thank you for this information. It is super helpful. I wasn't sure how docking stations work, so I'm really glad I asked!

I think I'll keep trucking along with the laptop until I'm able to get a desktop.

No Events found!