Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

Advice needed EMCOPY or ROBOCOPY???

Hello,

I need to migrate lot of file servers with lot of Tbytes to a new ISILON.  I had 3 questions:

1))  What tool is better for this task ?  Emcopy or Robocopy.

I never use Emcopy, I used in the past Robocopy.  Emcopy, can copy ACL, NTFS permissions, etc ??

2)) I'm novice but I wondered if is possible to launch an instance of emcopy from the isilon without any computer using ssh or something similar to avoid bottlenecks using bridge machine to launch the copy. ?? ( if this is not possible, I understand that the best solution is to launch emcopy from command line in windows 2003/8 server to the Isilon)

3)) What tool or way you recommend after migration is finished ,  to compare/ensure total size between old server and new server is OK ?

Thanks in Advance,

Best Regards

2 Intern

• 

165 Posts

May 31st, 2014 14:00

If we have to list mapping from celerra/VNX to migrate data to Isilon, is this the right command.

server_cifssupport -secmap -list

Then copy them in to a file and use it with /sidmapfile

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

July 13th, 2014 20:00

Where and how to download EMCopy ?

2 Posts

July 18th, 2014 02:00

Long Path Tool also works good.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 27th, 2014 08:00

124 Posts

August 27th, 2014 08:00

I am having issues copying data via RoboCopy and xcopy regarding security ID structure being invalid. I found that EMC is recommending EMcopy.  will this work for CIFS on VNX?

Where do I get the download??

Thank you

124 Posts

August 27th, 2014 09:00

Thank you! Question:

with robocopy I was using the parameters    /b /e/ /sec /Copy:DATSO

there error I was getting was:  robocopy security id structure invalid

can you suggest the EMcopy parameter that would work to get around this error

3 Posts

August 27th, 2014 09:00

If you are not restructuring the data, why are you not using isi_vol_copy_vnx to move the data?

Regardless, take a look at the following doc

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h12212-smb-file-migration-emc-isilon-wp.pdf

450 Posts

August 28th, 2014 08:00

All,

Emcopy is significantly faster than robocopy especially when it comes to large numbers of small files in incrementals.   Be certain that the service account running the copy regardless of tool, has is a member of the backup operator and administrators security groups on the source, and that account, and only that account has run-as-root access to the target Isilon share. Be very careful with this access, but it is extremely useful in data migrations to Isilon.  In the latest release of OneFS 7.1.1, there is now an RBAC-role that can be given called BackupAdmin, which contains 2 privileges that give users/groups with that role, similar rights to what Backup Operators would have on a Windows System.

Hope this helps,

~Chris Klosterman

Senior Solution Architect

EMC Isilon Offer & Enablement Team

Twitter: @croaking

Email: chris.klosterman@emc.com

7 Posts

February 12th, 2015 03:00

Regarding validation of the copied files, I used MD5DEEP to collect hashes on the source and after copying to compare the hash on the target.

Computes  the  hashes, or message digest, for any number of files while

optionally recursively digging through the  directory  structure.   Can

also  take  a  list  of known hashes and display the filenames of input

files whose hashes either do or do not match any of the  known  hashes.

Errors are reported to standard error. If no FILES are specified, reads

from standard input.

It is a free software find it on google.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2015 08:00

Hi

I am currently using emcopy to copy CIFS data from an old storage device to our new VNX5800. Its all working fine however I wanted to confirm what the equivilent of robocopy's /MIR function is.

Essentially I have completed copying the data to the new VNX but now I want to "sync" the data. So effectively only copy new or modified files and folders from the old storage to the new

below is the current syntax im using

emcopy \\old_storage\cifs_folder \\new_VNX5800\cifs_folder /s /secfix /o /a /c /th 16 /r:3 /LOG+:C:\log+file_name.txt

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 21st, 2015 11:00

/d will copy new and changed files

275 Posts

July 21st, 2015 13:00

If you use /d as Dynamox said then EMCopy will only copy files if they are more recent (mdate) on the source

But /de might be closer to /MIR where /de will copy files if mdate is different or size is different. In other words, /de will copy a file onto destination if after an initial copy it was edited on destination or restored from backup on the source

It will also copy the file to target if size differs (e.g. EMCopy aborted during copy)

I noticed that you're not using some of the other options of EMCopy, just wanted to let you know that EMCopy can copy ADS (/stream), SIDhistory and others (look at the online help)

Also make sure you add add a w:X along with the retry (r:Y), the default value for Wait might be too long (I'd use w:1)

Regards,

Claude

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 00:00

Thanks guys

/de seems to be the consensus here

1 Attachment

1 Message

December 16th, 2015 23:00

Check this one, more about......Robocopy

Clint

15 Posts

February 9th, 2016 03:00

We have a mix of Git, Ant and Robocopy scripts for deployments at work.

I've been working on moving everything into Jenkins.

We have a few projects that have a LOT of files. And I quickly ran into an issue using Robocopy to move them to the server took forever.

Doing some research I found a few things...

Newer versions of Robocopy support a 'thread' option. This can dramatically speed up copying, but... it's only supported on newer servers (2008+).

Testing copies to my local workstation (Win7) were really quick but when I copied the same files to a Windows 2003 server things were much slower.

The next thing I ran into was Robocopy's total failure on doing differential copies.

I was expecting rsync and got a slightly beefier Xcopy instead.

Despite trying all sorts of flag options I could never get Robocopy to just copy files that had changed. Robocopy seems stuck to the date last modified of the file

and while it appears it also checks for file differences the date always wins.

So I went looking for an alternative.

I stumbled upon a few posts that mentioned Emcopy, a tool created by EMC. The license is a bit value but a few quick searches and I was able to find a copy.

The syntax is exactly like Robocopy:

"" emcopy.exe \\source\path \\destination\path ""

But several of the flags are different.

I ended up using the following flags:

emcopy.exe \\source\path \\destination\path /de /nosec /s /xd images /th 16 /r:3 /w:30

/de - this compares date AND file differences

/nosec - emcopy can copy permission but this flag ignores all that

/s - copies subdirectories/files

/xd - exclude directories

/th - threading

/r:5 - will retry X times if it encounters an error

/w:30 - how long it waits between retries

Doing some benchmarks I didn't see a huge increase in speed over Robocopy during the initial copy when the destination directory was empty.

Where Emcopy stood out was in subsequent copies:

[emcopy] File(s) copied                    : 1

[emcopy] Amount of copied byte(s)          : 188 Byte(s) (188 Byte(s))

[emcopy] Estimated copy bitrate            : 0.015 KB/s

[emcopy] Global copy duration              : 11.865

[emcopy]

[emcopy] Elapsed time: secs: 12

Where Robocopy would have copied all the files over again, Emcopy simply copied the one file I updated.

Again I'm not sure of the license of Emcopy but if you search you can find several posts on how to get it and it is easily found. The download includes 32 and 64 bit

files and a well documented README file and of course there is help available at the command line.

No Events found!