Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Posts

July 17th, 2018 22:00

Gen6 serial port different to Gen5?

Has anyone connected to the serial port (console connector) on Gen6 nodes?

Trying to figure out if something is different to Gen5 nodes.

I can connect fine to Gen5 nodes, using the same cable if i connect to a Gen6 node i get output from it but can't input anything.

A port connected to a Gen5 node shows signals RTS | CTS | DTR | DCD but connected to Gen6 node only shows RTS | DTR.

Is it a different pinout maybe?

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

July 18th, 2018 09:00

pwp

Are you using a NULL modem cable? They don't work with Gen6 nodes.

simple 3-wire null modem cable that doesn’t support hardware flow control:

(From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem)

No hardware handshaking

The simplest type of serial cable has no hardware handshaking. This cable has only the data and signal ground wires connected. All of the other pins have no connection. With this type of cable flow control has to be implemented in the software. The use of this cable is restricted to data-traffic only on its cross-connected Rx and Tx lines. This cable can also be used in devices that do not need or make use of modem control signals.

Hardware flow control was listed in the requirements for gen5 and earlier too, but somehow that cable was working with those nodes.

Full handshaking

This cable is incompatible with the previous types of cables' hardware flow control, due to a crossing of its RTS/CTS pins. With suitable software, the cable is capable of much higher speeds than its predecessors. It also supports software flow control.

This is the one that works:

10 Posts

July 18th, 2018 18:00

Thanks Phil, I tried using a null modem cable to a laptop and also an Opengear serial console.

The Opengear has Cisco pinouts and i'd been using their crossover connector with Gen5 nodes, i have one of their straight connectors which i will try.

I have all the pinouts of the Opengear side, but seems there is no pinout info for the Gen6 nodes for me to find the correct connector without trial and error.

107 Posts

July 19th, 2018 03:00

I use the same cable with the Gen6 Nodes as I used to with the Gen5 Nodes, but I had to adjust the serial settings in the client (Putty). Now it looks like this:

2018-07-19 12_53_17.png

Phil

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

July 19th, 2018 15:00

Did you look at the wiki link?  There's a DB9 Full Handshake pinout diagram.

DB9_full handshake.jpg

10 Posts

July 19th, 2018 18:00

Thanks Phil and Phil.

I did look at the wiki but according to that i'm using the right connector, that wiki is just a standard pin diagram, not necessarily what the nodes use.

Following what Phil said about flow control i turned it off and the connection works.

According to EMCs own docs the settings for a Gen6 node are the same as Gen5, 115200 8N1 hardware flow control (RTS/CTS).

If the serial port is using standard pins then the connector i'm using is correct, but hardware flow control doesn't work, and any other setting does.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 05:00

We could only read output via console cable, and not able to sent any data. I wish I read your post earlier, and not after 2 days trying to connect to isilon node. It is very stupid thing for EMC to do, as the official deployment guide specifically asks hardware flow-control. They should fix it ASAP!
No Events found!