Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2015 03:00

ISILON - file in use but not opened read only

Dear EMC community,

We have a case in our company where some users open a file with RW permissions, they are working on it and when they want to save it, they get a message from the application (e.g. Excel or Word) that the file is currently in use, try again later.

When we are checking the open files in the ISILON console, there is only one user working on this file.

It becomes to be a real problem as we are not sure about the root cause.

Is it the Windows client which is making trouble ? is it related to SMBv2 protocol ? is there any timeout or something else which is causing this issue ? (like a user is working on a file since hours)

I'd like to know first if we are the only one having such problems before opening a service request. And certainly, I'll get very interesting input from you guys which will help me a lot.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards

Patrick

127 Posts

July 17th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

Consider moving this discussion as it is to a more relevant product or Support Community for better visibility and more SME's answers. If you cant find a relevant community, move it to the General topics community General Topics. To move the discussion, click on the 'Move' link on the top right of the page under the 'Actions' widget.

Raj

127 Posts

July 17th, 2015 02:00

Thanks Patrick.

300 Posts

Hi Patrick,

things I can tell you is:

Take a look on:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/05/14/the-definitive-locked-file-post.aspx

Also do some testings with tcp.keepidle values. Sometimes Firewalls close a session (session timeout), and forget to tell the client / server this . so make sure your clients, your firewall and your servers/isilon do have identical keepidle values configured

We also had this problem, but got rid of it (mostly) by tweaking keepidle, firewall and doing some patches.

Regards

-- sluetze

10 Posts

Thank you Raj, I was not sure where would be the best place for such discussions.

I moved it to Isilon community as you can see.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 17th, 2015 04:00

is there a firewall between clients and Isilon ?

10 Posts

July 17th, 2015 04:00

There is no firewall in that case I described.

But in the near future, some sites could access the ISILON through a firewall. What was your idea ? maybe that could help me pro-actively ☺

Thanks

Patrick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 17th, 2015 05:00

Is there any antivirus running ?? Since slyetze mentioned the timeouts for firewall and as you mentioned there is no firewall in your environment i suspect that this is a lock held by the scanning applications on that particular file. Usually Microsoft Office creates temp (with and without a file extensions) files when saving. Overzealous realtime scanning programs sometimes see these temp files, try and read their contents, and in doing so initiate file locks. This causes instant problems when the parent application tries to convert the temp file back to its intended format.

Answer to your requirement of firewall, allow proper ports and ip's on the firewall so that users can access them.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Kiran.

10 Posts

July 17th, 2015 07:00

Thank you Sluetze for your answer.

Looking at the link you’ve sent, it’s true that we had “similar” issue when our DFS was hold on Windows Servers. And we solved it by applying MS patches and removing some specific MS patches.

But I’ll inform my colleagues about the preview topic in your link, that could explain why not everyone has the issue and that the ones who have it, don’t have it all the time.

Keep you informed.

Patrick

10 Posts

July 17th, 2015 07:00

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your answer and as just answered to Sluetze, I’ll try to look in his link about MS Office solutions (preview topic).

The antivirus could be but it would mean more trouble for more users. Actually, since I’ve opened my discussion, I had no other cases. That’s also the main reason why I didn’t open an EMC support case.

Regarding Firewall, I’ll follow then the installation guide. I thought you had additional recommendations.

Regards

Patrick

No Events found!