Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2015 19:00

Isilion 7.2 Simulation Smart Connect

Hello

This is my first experience with Isilion.  I have setup the simulation on a esxi with 3 nodes.  I've also setup the DNS with the 4 A records pointing to the cluster.  3 for the nodes and 1 for the SmartConnect IP.  The issue I'm having is when I ping the domain name the return I get is always from the first node where the SmartConnect IP also resides.  It does not do the Round Robin to the other 2 nodes.  I followed the following test at this location:  How do I test the initial SmartConnect configuration? and this worked fine as the return was from each node. 

What is it I could be doing wrong?

The following is my setup:

isilion.png

Thanks

1.2K Posts

November 19th, 2015 22:00

Your DNS server must "delegate" the subdomain for the Isilon to the Isilon SmartConnect IP. The A records for the individual nodes are not needed.

Windows instructions here:

OneFS: How to configure Windows DNS for a SmartConnect zone

For UNIX/Linux BIND DNS refer to the second comment to that document.

hth

-- Peter

300 Posts

November 19th, 2015 23:00

Additional info:

in my environment the delegation only works if the zonename in the smartconnect settings is a fqdn. (so isilon72.example.com)

--sluetze

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 20th, 2015 06:00

Thanks to everyone for your help.  Peter I followed your first link in setting up Windows DNS but for some reason I cannot create the delegation.  If the images on the page were available it may help but unfortunately its not.  For the second link I have no access to it.  Not sure how to get access.  Sluetze,  I did what you suggested but still the same.

I assume that if I could get the Delegation setup this may work.  By the way I'm using a WIN 2012r2 dns.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 20th, 2015 07:00

Finally got the delegation working but I still cannot get the result I'm hoping for when I ping the SmartConnect IP.  Is there a log within the OneFS that would show me what is being received and what is being returned?

Thanks

130 Posts

November 20th, 2015 11:00

Hello,

Can I ask what you are expecting from the SmartConnect IP itself? To properly round robin, you will need to utilize a SmartConnect name, not the IP. The IP address is a real IP that is assigned to an interface on your cluster, and outside of DNS it's not all that special.

Let me know if you run in to any other questions!

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 20th, 2015 13:00

Hello Katie

Thanks for the reply.  I did finally get this to work.  The issue I had was the setup of the DNS delegation.  Once this was set I am now able to ping the FQDN of the zone and each reply shows a different IP.

Thanks to all for your help.

No Events found!