Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 4th, 2022 12:00

Isilon NDMP

Hello All.

Is Isilon ndmp is compatible with UNITY ndmp.

We already are aware that - Isilon NDMP is not compatible with VNX.

Where can I get the compatibility matrix on the above scenarios and few more details etc.

Thank You.

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

August 26th, 2022 01:00

From the white paper I suspect the problem you face are all examples are of data that are on primary storage rather than in an Unity archive to tape ?

In which case there seems to be a requirement to have a 'swing space', ie restore a subset to unity, migrate to isilon, repeat until complete, this is assuming unity ndmp backup can only be restored to unity. You might want to test whether you can restore to a windows or unix server. Why ? Can the either share or export isilon path to server and restore directly to that path. Try with a  small subset, if it works, then you have cut out a step and can increase the subset size ?

• 

8.5K Posts

August 5th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

Thanks for your question about NDMP. I was not able to find any documentation saying that it will work. The best option is to call phone support to see what the best options for getting the data are.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 6th, 2022 10:00

Hi.

Yeah, phone support was also not able to find any document, whitepaper or something which tells that it is compatible. So, it looks like not supported between the two.

So, what are the options to restore(or migrate) from UNITY to Isilon when we are looking at some ~500TB+.

Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

August 8th, 2022 07:00

The migration in and out should have the same options. https://dell.to/3PmwelX;

• 

8.5K Posts

August 8th, 2022 09:00

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 8th, 2022 09:00

Hi.

Oops! Something went wrong.
The page you are looking for couldn't be found.  https://dell.to/3PmwelX;

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 30th, 2022 10:00

Hi Cadence.  Thanks for the support. Much appreciated.

Do you know if UNITY VSA supports FC ports as well.  It does support ndmp, but what is the purpose and how ndmp is used in it , if there seems to be no option for FC ports.  May be Virtual FC ports from ESXi.

Please share some insights, if you know on it.  Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2022 06:00

It should support FC connections. 

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2022 07:00

It looks like what I saw before was just unity in general and not VSA specifically. https://dell.to/3BuDp7X

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

September 7th, 2022 07:00

Hi Josh.

If UNITY VSA supports FC connections, then,  is there any document/white paper to support that.
How it is setup. Any details on this.  I think VSA doesn't support FC connections. But then how ndmp works on VSA, when it is supported in VSA.  All I can find is one blog where a user is using VSA ndmp with Networker for backup/restore. But that blog also doesn't  have details on the setup.  Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

September 7th, 2022 11:00

Hi Josh.

Then, you need to find some doc on this statement:

UNITY VSA works as an orchestrator on a 3-way backup.  How ?

Just kidding, if you are able to find something on this then let me know.

Best

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

September 14th, 2022 09:00

With the caveat that I have not played with VSA. Suspect as its a virtual device so FC is not supported.

No Events found!