Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2017 07:00

Isilon data protection levels and number of drives it uses per node

Hi there,

I am guessing this question might have been already asked before, but i didn't find a right link to understand it correctly -

I am trying to understand more about Isilon data protection levels and how does it stripe data across the drives in the cluster,

Say if i have 3 nodes, protection level config as +2d:1n, and file sizes of 512KB each. how would the stripes occur ?, does the behavior change as we add more nodes? any explanation would help.

Regards,

Sameer

March 20th, 2017 08:00

Also, how many drives per node are used for striping the data across, i am assuming it is different number for each protection level.

125 Posts

March 20th, 2017 13:00

Coincidentally, I talk about +2d:1n protection on a 513 KiB file in this discussion (but the concepts apply to your question as well):

Re: n+2:1 Protection Parity Calc

> Also, how many drives per node are used for striping the data across, i am assuming it is different number for each protection level.

OneFS uses a limited number of drives PER NODE for the layout of any given file -- think of the stripes as occurring "across" nodes, where each node uses a couple of drives for each stripe.  For really large files (> about 32 MiB), OneFS will start to rotate the drives it uses for the file's stripes, so big files can end up using all the drives in a file's disk pool.

March 21st, 2017 02:00

thanks, that helped.

No Events found!