Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2013 10:00

Isilon reconfiguration

Hi All,

We've got a set of four Isilon nodes, previously configured as a cluster, but now pretty much inconsistent. We would like erase or re-configure the configuration, so that we could start from scratch by recreating the cluster. Right now our network config too is in shambles and  OneFS file system too doesn't mount.

Could one direct me to some documentation/video guidance on a lead, as to how to achieve this. We needn't worry about the data in these nodes.

Regards

Naleendra

93 Posts

January 6th, 2014 10:00

You could also create a USB flash drive with the appropriate version of OneFS and then boot and reimage each node.

Search for:

OneFS: How to reimage a node using a USB flash drive

and

How to create a bootable image of OneFS on a USB flash drive

on EMC Support.

Cheers,
Matt

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 17:00

EMC14000876 describes how to reset the node to the state that it was in when it was shipped from the factory. You can find this article from https://support.emc.com, login with your powerlink credentials and Click Search. From Search tab, you can search for How to reset a node to factory defaults or search by article id : emc14000876. This will destroy all data on the node with no change of recovery.

27 Posts

December 27th, 2013 08:00

I would suggest to use the Data Erasure service to completely wipe out the data on cluster. And then reimage each node with the latest OS version or whichever version is the preference. If you reimage the cluster that will give you option to format the data disks too. If you plan to go ahead with Re-image then you can get the steps to do that from Isilon Procedure Generator which can be downloaded from EMC Support website.

Thanks,

Gavi

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 27th, 2013 12:00

do you know how much data erasure cost ? $10k  ..why would one do that if there is no sensitive data and you don't need an official certificate.

27 Posts

December 30th, 2013 06:00

Wohoo... I didn't know how much it cost. The client who I work with is very protective of its data. They asked for something that would make sure that their data is not left on the nodes, so they were suggested to use certified erasure. I just suggested it as one of the ways to do it though.

Also, thanks Jeffey, the document is incredibly helpful.

-Gavi

No Events found!