Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2016 12:00

Isilon serial port management

I am polling members of this community to find out if anyone has set up a remote access system through the back-end serial ports.  For example:  Connected all the node serial ports into a serial hub/controller to allow remote access, much like a KVM/DRAC system.  Many thanks in advance.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2016 21:00

We've used OpenGear IM4248s for this sort remote management. Once you start running large clusters (We've run anywhere from 24-78 node cluster(s)) than having this capability is indispensable... Granted this _really_ should be part of the product ala SP or RLM you'd see on competing NAS solutions

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 27th, 2016 21:00

i was thinking about it when my cluster was small but then as it grew i could not justify an IP based serial console (14 node cluster). Other then during an upgrade watch POST, not sure you can get much out of it. If a node locks up during an upgrade (happened to me multiple times), you are going to have to physically be present and either push the button on the back of the node or worth case yank power cables.

11 Posts

June 28th, 2016 06:00

Do you use RJ232 adapters on your CAT5?  I only ask, because I looked up this switch, and it shows CAT5 connections.  Any an all technical advise is welcomed.  I want to get a complete and concise presentation for my management.

252 Posts

June 28th, 2016 14:00

Hi The_DI,

The usual set up is to have a management pool, and connect remotely via IP address or SmartConnect name through an external interface. I have seen a couple of environments that have deployed a constant serial connection to a serial console server, but I could not tell you what equipment/software they deployed.

Here is the Isilon Networking Best Practice Guide. It does talk about Out of Band node management on page 10 (in band on page 9), although it does not give much instruction; just beware of security risks with whichever serial console server is used in tandem.

https://support.emc.com/docu58740

Additionally, while you may already have this information, there is a knowledge base article on the settings required for connecting to the management port of the node.

304071: Isilon: How to connect to the management port of a node
https://support.emc.com/kb/304071

No Events found!