Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 23:00

Smartquota:Hard limit exceeded and its almost 115% and no event been triggered

Hi Can some one help with me regarding smart quota

we have set up hard limit of 500 Gb and now the usage has gone to 597 GB and the quota is set at directory level, how can the usage exceed the hard limit and also the event was not generated by the cluster?
any idea how to get the quota alerts triggered

image.png

do we need to check the highlighted in the yellow ones in order to get those alerts being triggered 

252 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 08:00

Hi PriyalP7,

The box does have to be checked to receive an alert. Also, the hard quota can be exceeded in a couple ways. If the quota was created after the limit was already exceeded, it won't drop how much data is currently in the directory. It will just be over the limit. Also, root is able to overwrite quotas if it is a directory level quota.

If the issue isn't either of these things, then I recommend opening a ticket with Isilon Support.

https://onlinesupport.emc.com/SRCreate

November 3rd, 2016 11:00

The other thing to watch for is if the quota is enforced - I've run into this a few times when users were unlinked from the default-user quota entry.

# isi quota view --type --path [--user ]

21 Posts

November 7th, 2016 00:00

Hi sjones5

Thank you for the information, is it possible that hard limit can be exceeded when the directory is within the usage and you apply the quota later with higher limit

Eg: directory has consumed 1 TB and later I apply the quota of 3 TB on it

I assume that quota should be applied on directory before any we write anything into Dir, so that Hard Limit wont be exceeded

Correct me if I'm wrong

252 Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

Hi PriyalP7,

You can apply the quota at any time, even with data written to it. The data already in the directory will be counted towards the quota. The situation I was initially referring to was if you had a directory that already had 3TB of data and tried to apply a 1TB quota (for example). You can apply the quota still. It will prevent anything more from being written, but it won't remove data to reduce the size of the directory down to 1TB. The directory will still have 3TB of data in it.

No Events found!