Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2018 11:00

Turning on NFSv4 - Impact to current V3 users?

I have NFSv4 w/kerberos more or less working now on our 8.0.0.4 test cluster.

The question I have is what will be in the impact to current NFSv3 users when we turn it on for our Prod cluster? The global change of isi nfs settings global modify --nfsv4-enabled=true.  When we do turn on NFSv4 we will be creating a new zone for V4 only and not touching the current NFSv3 zone.

My initial tests were that if the client server can do NFSv4 it will mount it as NFSv4.  My read/write/delete/permissions tests of a previously mounted NFSv3 client showed no issues when it re-mounted as NFSv4 (no kerberos).

I would like to hear from anyone that has gone through this as I am a bit worried about affecting 350+ current NFSv3 users.  Just want to cover all my bases

Thanks!

450 Posts

May 15th, 2018 03:00

You need to have your existing v3 users specify version 3 in their mounts. Do this before you enable v4 on the cluster and you should see no change in behavior after the change. Don’t do this however, and you’ll see exactly what you just mentioned which is that clients will negotiate the highest mutually supported version the next time they reboot (or unmount/remount). So the problems may not be readily apparent. Version 4 is a different beast, that is stateful, supports ACLs, has different failover behavior, and much more. It’s not the case with NFS that newer is always better.

Hope this helps,

-Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

May 15th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for your comments Chris!

Reaching out to 350+ users is going to be a bit of a challenge.  In hindsight we should have supplied them with the mount syntax to use (using nfsvers=3) instead of just saying "Your new share is ready....blah.com:/blah-share".  Oh well

Speaking of, is there a best practices for client side mount options when using Isilon?   (We are running 8.0.0.4)  If we are going to reach out to the users to have them re-mount using version it would also be good to make sure they are using any other recommended options.

Also, is there an Isilon settings, perhaps a zone setting, that when a client mounts you can force it to use a specific version?

Thanks!

-Brian

450 Posts

May 16th, 2018 13:00

Totally agree, that reaching out to that many users won't be a fun endeavor, however it's the only safe course of action, other than perhaps getting this v4 data it's own cluster, which if it's big enough maybe that's an option to mitigate risk.  No, there is no way to turn on/off v4 on a per-access-zone level.  It's global, which is why it's listed under global settings in the GUI.

For Client mount best practices, look here:

457328 : OneFS: Best practices for NFS client settings https://support.emc.com/kb/457328

~Chris

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 11:00

Thanks again Chris!

I had one of our customers run a test and when the client server mounted it as V4 it seem to appear and function as "normal" (ie...like they would see using V3).

There is the message of trying to mount V4.1 and failing and that might alarm a customer that is paying attention

TEST --> mount the share as V3 and write a file, look at permissions

(root)

# mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/test2 /mnt/test2/

(jsmith)

% touch /mnt/test2/file

% ls -al /mnt/test2/

total 46

drwxr-xr-x. 2 jsmith smith-group    22 May 22 10:04 .

drwxr-xr-x. 4 root      root 4096 May 22 10:03 ..

-rw-r--r--. 1 jsmith smith-group 0 May 22 10:05 file

TEST --> now mount the share without specifying the version and see what happens, compare.

(root)

# mount -v  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/test2 /mnt/test2/

mount.nfs: timeout set for Tue May 22 10:16:33 2018

mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=4.1,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,clientaddr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied

mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=4.0,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,clientaddr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

(jsmith)

% touch /mnt/test2/file2

% ls -al /mnt/test2/

total 48

drwxr-xr-x. 2 jsmith smith-group    45 May 22 10:15 .

drwxr-xr-x. 4 root      root 4096 May 22 10:03 ..

-rw-r--r--. 1 jsmith smith-group    0 May 22 10:05 file

-rw-r--r--. 1 jsmith smith-group    0 May 22 10:15 file2

450 Posts

May 25th, 2018 06:00

Keep in mind that v4 is a stateful protocol, while v3 is stateless.  That also has an impact on failover behavior.  Stateful protocols expect that the server maintains session state information, however if you use a dynamic smart connect zone and the IP fails over for some reason due to maintenance or a fault, the other node wouldn't know about the session state.  On Isilon, most stateful protocols, like SMB are recommended to be on static smart connect zones, where the IP doesn't move, it just goes down. The clientOS is smart enough to realize the IP is down, do a new nslookup, get a new IP, and reconnect.  Many NFS clients on even newer linux OS'es are that smart, or perhaps I should say mountd isn't that smart and they'll just make it a stale mount if you have NFSv4 on a static smart connect zone.  They use v3 style logic.  Anyway just something to be aware of.  The last I heard from someone on the unix protocols team the guidance was still to use dynamic for NFSv4, because better to failover and lose some session state information, versus failover and get a stale mount because the client isn't behaving properly.

Also make sure they mount with noacl if you want to keep using POSIX permissions only, and NFSv4 ACLs.

~Chris

No Events found!