Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2013 12:00

Using Linux quota command pointing to an /ifs nfs mounted filesystem. 50050 error.

My users would like to be able to check on their quota usage.. BEFORE they surpass their quotas.

There is a quota command with RHEL 6.x that is supposed to query the rpc.quota deamon running on the isilon to ascertain the current usage. i.e.

quota  -f /ifs/home

quota: error while getting quota from isilon:/ifs/home for rreeder (id 50050): Connection refused.

Oh, it's not a 50050 error, that's my UID...

Anyway,  anyone gotten this to work?

450 Posts

November 24th, 2014 19:00

ycah,

You're not doing anything wrong, what you're seeing is a combination of a couple of factors.

1. Isilon does not support/run the rquotad daemon, so quota commands from Linux distros won't return accurate results.

2. User quotas on Isilon although enforced do not report back the size of the quota as a directory limit on a mount, instead you see the size of the cluster as you've indicated.

Neither of these items stops the cluster from enforcing quota limits, however it does make those limits more obscure to your users.  So you have a few options.

1. Use hard directory quotas instead of user quotas, and be sure to set show available space as 'size of hard threshold'.  This means that you'll need to script out the directory quota creation, however, then when they are mounted the user can easily see their hard quota as the size of the volume mounted with a 'df -kh', rather than using quota.

2. Continue to use user quotas, because they are easier to automate, however configure advisory quotas and notifications, so that the cluster can automatically email users when they hit say 85%, and then again at maybe a soft boundary of 95% with a 7-day grace, and then email again, when they hit 100%.  You can do all of this in an email notification template.  And the beauty there is that they are customizable, so you can direct the users to contact the IT helpdesk if they need more space, and assuming you have AD or LDAP configured and populated with email addresses, you can have the cluster automatically send the notifications based on file ownership.  This means a single template could handle all of your user home directories.

I hope this helps,

Chris Klosterman

Senior Solution Architect

EMC Isilon Offer & Enablement Team

chris.klosterman@emc.com

twitter: @croaking

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2013 00:00

The rpc.quota daemon on Isilon simply belongs to FreeBSD and doesn't act on /ifs.

Here is what you can do instead:

For directory ("volume") quotas, set the container flag, so client can see the current volume size and usage with a lightweighted "df".

For per-user quotas, set reasonable advisory and/or soft thresholds and configure Isilon's built-in e-mail notifications for quotas. You might want to change the message template(s) and you might go mad when finding that these templates can only refer to ONE single type of quota. I.e. it is NOT possible for the built-in mechanism to send a message like: "Your usage has now reached XX GB, beware your maximum limit is YY GB." :-(

We have finally arrived at creating one directory-container quota per each user's home directory, and staying with e-mail notifications for shared volumes.

Peter

78 Posts

November 24th, 2014 16:00

Hi Peter,

I am trying to implement user quotas on Isilon - i am able to set hard limit for each user as required by setting up 'default-user ' on the root directory and set hard limit for sub-directory (per user) under the root folder but users are seeing the cluster size rather than the hard limit set.

Is there something wrong with the implementation, please advise

On the root folder:

isi quota quotas create --enforced=yes --path= --type=default-user --hard-threshold=5G

On the sub-dir:

isi quota quotas modify --path= --type=user --user --hard-threshold 5G

78 Posts

November 24th, 2014 19:00

Thanks Chris, that helps.

Is there a limit on number of quotas on Isilon.

And for some reason using the above commands the hard limit kept on root folder has no effect on it sub-directories (per user)

132 Posts

November 24th, 2014 20:00

A hard limit will affect all users.  It just counts the number of bytes in the directory structure starting at a given point in the file system.  You won't get a per user limit using hard quotas unless you setup a directory per user and setup a hard quota per directory.

In terms of limits, there are guidelines that we publish.  These are tested limits and depending on your situation they can be exceeded.  The slightly older doc is called: Isilon Guidelines for Large Workloads (https://support.emc.com/docu54994_Isilon_Guidelines_for_Large_Workloads_(OneFS_7.1.1).pdf?language=en_US)

Starting from OneFS 7.2 and onward this has been renamed: Isilon Technical Specifications Guide (https://support.emc.com/docu56230_Isilon_OneFS_7.2_Technical_Specifications_Guide.pdf?language=en_US)

Both can be found using search on support.emc.com.

78 Posts

November 25th, 2014 07:00

Thanks Andrew, there seems to a 20k limit for number of quotas specified for OneFS 7.2 but no specification for 7.0 or 7.1

132 Posts

November 25th, 2014 18:00

Newer versions of OneFS almost always (99%) will increase limits and not lower them.  So if there are no limits for older versions, assume a max of 20k tested quotas as well on version before 7.2.

78 Posts

November 25th, 2014 19:00

sounds logical, thanks Andrew

1.2K Posts

November 25th, 2014 20:00

Just to connect the dots:

"show available space as size of hard threshold"  (Chris mentioned)

is the WebGUI setting for the CLI "isi quota ... --container true" flag

which I was referring to earlier.

And one feature suggestion (@EMC Isilon):

How about a "default-directory" quota type, which will instantiate linked

directory quotas exactly one level lower? That will help creating homes

much easier, where "container" behavior is in need.

Cheers

-- Peter

No Events found!