Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2015 05:00

how to enable disabled root user on isilon

customer has been trying the access rights and logged in with root, then used it to disable root user completely.

now he is logged out and can't login again using root and no other user has the correct privileges to enable root again

any thought?

76 Posts

September 4th, 2015 07:00

I think you'll want to get a SR open with support so that support can understand exactly how the root account was disabled.  From there they then can figure out a way to get it reenabled, if possible. There is not some sort of hidden root account that would enable support to easily do this so it may be a little involved.

I would see if you can still use the admin account via WebUI/SSH to at least administer the cluster from there in the meantime.

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

September 4th, 2015 09:00

Check to see if they have a root user in AD. I had a case that AD root user had confilict with local Isilon root user.

Had to use kb175261 - Duplicate user names cause users to be unable to log in to OneFS or change local account passwords

https://support.emc.com/kb/175261

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 4th, 2015 09:00

i am curious what the recovery procedure would be like,  single user mode of some sort ?

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

September 4th, 2015 11:00

dynamox,

I had to console in thru the serial port to make the setting change with network cables detached/unconnected. Then we were able to login thru putty/ssh again.

isi auth ads config modify --assume=default-domain=false --provider-name=(domain name)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 4th, 2015 11:00

Phil,

what about a more generic use case where root password was forgotten ?

130 Posts

September 4th, 2015 13:00

Hello dynamox,

Yes, there is a procedure to recover the root password should it be forgotten. As you mentioned, this does involve booting one cluster node into single user mode to accomplish this task.

For the use case here where the root user was "disabled" we would need to know how the user was disabled in order to undo that configuration change in single user mode (if possible).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2015 08:00

I guess process will be similar to if password is forgotten in freebsd.

It will still be nice to see how actually the issue occured.

39 Posts

October 28th, 2015 20:00

Hello,

One possible reason which I have seen in past is when a root user is created in AD  and its disabled, check if there is a root user present in AD.

Thanks

No Events found!