Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 8th, 2017 21:00

14r 5420 Can a dead battery cause it to not boot?

I have a older 14r 5420 that i would like to get working for my folks. It was sitting in storage for a year not used. the last owner said the battery was not able to hold much of a charge (that was a year ago), if any, and that the keyboard was broken last time he used it. (which is the reason he stopped using it)

I plugged it in, went through the process of burning off the "flea power" or what ever it is. But the thing will not power on. Its like no power is getting to the motherboard at all. No beeps or lights outside of the green light on a power bar. Can a fried or dead battery cause this? its been plugged in for about 2 hours as i write this. I can replace the keyboard if i can get it working. But i don't want to go to the expense, if not. 

Is there a way to test it? make sure the battery is getting enough power? test to see if its outputting enough power? Is the laptop normally able to boot without the battery in? (im thinking not)

Any help would be great!

Ted

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 9th, 2017 04:00

Unplug, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive.

Verify that the LED on the AC adpater is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, replace it with a new OEM Dell AC adapter.

Power up on AC only - if it will but won't with the battery installed, the battery is bad.

If that doesn't get the system going, the mainboard is bad.

No Events found!