Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2011 14:00

2 out of 3 USB ports not working - dell inspiron n5110

I bought a dell N5110 last month but about 2 weeks ago, the USB port to the right side stopped working completely. And just today i noticed the USB port at the back has also stopped working. I now only have the left side port working and fear that may seize to work soon.

When i go to the device manager and click on "Other devices" i have 2 devices "SM Bus controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" both of which have a yellow error icon of some sort. When i double click either of them this is the message i get:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I have tried searching for drivers for them but i can't find them anywhere on the dell site. I found someone else who requested these drivers on another post and tried to click the links but it takes me to a blank page. Please help?

3.8K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 03:00

Hi Aklimalo,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you update your Chipset Driver. Log on to support.dell.com, click on drivers and downloads, add your service tag, select operating system, and download and install the chipset driver and restart your computer.

You can also try removing the USB root hubs. In device manager, under USB controller, you will find many USB root hubs, right click on each one of them and click on uninstall, and remove all of them, and restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

5 Posts

December 24th, 2011 06:00

Hi Royan,

I am having the same problem Aklimalo had but with a vostro 3550. The 2 usb ports that don't work are usb 3.0 ports. I've updated all drivers available on the dell website and uninstalled the usb 3.0 driver but still these ports don't work.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Stijn

December 25th, 2011 02:00

Update chipset, then download renesas driver. That should get it back to work. If not call Dell Support cuz it's a hardware issue probably. 1 Months old, then it should be under warranty, you just need your service tag. This goes for the Dell Inspiron n5110

4.4K Posts

December 25th, 2011 16:00

Hi Royan,

I am having the same problem Aklimalo had but with a vostro 3550. The 2 usb ports that don't work are usb 3.0 ports. I've updated all drivers available on the dell website and uninstalled the usb 3.0 driver but still these ports don't work.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Stijn

Starting your own thread for your issue ensures that your issue is addessed.  It this thread gets marked with an approved answer, people might not venture back into this thread.

Go into your device manager and right click on the items that have the yellow question mark and select "Uninstall". Then exit the device manager and reboot your notebook.  Don't worry, Windows will see the "New" device and then try to install the drivers.
If that doesn't fix the issue, then you will need to download the chipset drivers and reinstall them.

Locate the Drivers and Downloads for your system by Clicking Here.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2011 00:00

I have started another thread for this problem but didn't get any response there yet.

After restoring the orignal Dell factory image and trying to install the drivers again, still nothing happened. They don't even show up in device manager.

I'm assuming this can only be a hardware issue or a bios issue? (the ports worked before I updated the bios)

Thanks for replying anyway

3 Posts

January 6th, 2012 16:00

I had the exact same problem. My USB 3 ports were not working at all. Go and get the BIOS update file for your model and run it. Make sure battery and charger are in place. After the update, Device mgr. rediscovered all the devices and presto, my USB 3 ports all work now.

5 Posts

January 7th, 2012 00:00

I already had the latest BIOS update installed so I'm going to have to assume it's just a hardware failure. 

Could you tell me which laptop model you had with the BIOS problem? Perhaps Dell just hasn't updated the BIOS (A09) for my laptop (vostro) yet.

Thanks anyway.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2012 11:00

Dell Inspiron N5110

1 Message

January 9th, 2012 16:00

Here is the driver to fix the Inspiron 15R USB port issues:

1 Message

March 24th, 2012 14:00

Hello. Were is the driver ?

3 Posts

March 24th, 2012 14:00

One laptop with USB 3.0 I had to go to the chipset manufacturer site to get the updated driver for the USB 3.0 port after flashing bios.  Because USB 3.0 is an external chipset, there are issues with various versions of the chips being delivered. That laptop was an ASUS (notoriously lousy support and drivers on their website and poor general quality software and OEM enhancements). I had the same issue on Dell N5110 that bios update alone fixed (Dell tends to keep their drivers updated very well).

I recommend looking to the manufacturer of the USB chipset rather than laptop manufacturer.

1 Message

March 25th, 2012 10:00

Hello, Since when I bought my new laptop Dell inspiron 5110, I had the same issue - 2 of 3 USB ports not working, and in device manager/other devices/ I had two unknown devices(SM Bus controller and USB controller). This problem occur because of two drivers missing. I just find the right solution for this issue:

Go to and download and install the driver. Then go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=K2NV2&FileId=2731100216&productCode=inspiron-15r-n5110&urlProductCode=False and do the same. That's all. The issue will be solved on 100%.

1 Message

April 5th, 2012 22:00

i just registered to say thanks to PLAMENPEKOV, it worked 

thanx

5 Posts

August 10th, 2012 00:00

i just registered to say thanks to PLAMENPEKOV, to create this forum ,

here i have some problem with my dell 5110 inspiron it has shown the blue error in which msg come that u have to update your bios when i checked i found my laptop bios version is A09. i want to know what will be bios update version for this  one and how can install in in my laptop plz help me i am very much fadup due to this problem.every time i have used esc button to start my laptop. thanx

5 Posts

August 10th, 2012 00:00

i just registered to say thanks to rayan , to create this forum ,

here i have some problem with my dell 5110 inspiron it has shown the blue error in which msg come that u have to update your bios when i checked i found my laptop bios version is A09. i want to know what will be bios update version for this  one and how can install in in my laptop plz help me i am very much fadup due to this problem.every time i have used esc button to start my laptop. thanx

No Events found!