Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2015 16:00

5 beeps-black screen- No boot Inspiron 15-3521

I had problems with my built in webcam, whenever I moved the screen it would shut off. Today while on a skype call I tried a video call and the webcam stopped working but the cams light stayed on. Device manager says there is no cam. After a few restarts the problem persisted: web cam light is on andit doesn't show on device mananger.

I remember that once I solved a similar problem in another laptop by draining the static from it.

So I took the AC and battery off, pressed the power button for 30 secs and...

now I get  a dead black screen and get 5 beeps (the first one louder than the others) like 1 sec apart and it repeats itself. The only way to stop it is to take the battery off.

I found that error code means a possible faulty cmos battery or RTC but unless it got damaged BECAUSE of the static drain I found it hard to believe. The computer is 1.5 years old.

Any suggestions>?

Thanks for your help

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 14th, 2015 16:00

It's worth trying to replace the reserve battery first - they're only a few dollars.  If that doesn't solve it, it's the clock chip itself that's bad and you'll need to replace the system board (which, on this model includes the CPU).

]

2 Posts

April 14th, 2015 17:00

Not satisfied with this answer:

It's worth trying to replace the reserve battery first - they're only a few dollars.  If that doesn't solve it, it's the clock chip itself that's bad and you'll need to replace the system board (which, on this model includes the CPU).]

It happened only after I drained the static, I find it hard to believe that doing that damaged the RTC chip or that happend randomly just at the same time.

I believe there is something else going on, maybe related to the webcam or maybe a false/wrong error

No Events found!