Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

4 Posts

February 28th, 2004 00:00

5150 - Unable to adjust brightness

I just upgraded my 5150's BIOS from A02 to A31 (via A22)...  Anyways, now I can no longer change my display brightness.  When I use Fn+up / down, it does nothing.  I even installled Dell's QuickSet software and even when I use that it doesn't adjust the brightness.  (In fact when that prog. is running, if I hit Fn+up/down, the brightness graphic pops up and moves, but the actual brightness is not affected :(  Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?

78 Posts

February 28th, 2004 05:00

Although this does not address your Fn+up/down problem, you can adjust the brightness in the BIOS.

2.2K Posts

February 28th, 2004 06:00

Yeah, as was mentioned, try changing the brightness in the BIOS (press F2 upon start up and navigate to the power management page).

stu

4 Posts

February 28th, 2004 21:00

Well, in BIOS, one can only set the initial brightness (the brightness on bootup).  My problem is that when I go from outside to inside, the screen is too bright and when I go out from inside it's too dark...  Any suggestions?

Edited to add:  As an experiment, I changed the initial brightness settings in BIOS, and even that doesn't affect the actual screen brightness... :( 

Message Edited by teddosan on 02-28-2004 06:18 PM

March 23rd, 2009 16:00

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! PLEASE READ AND COPY TO OTHER FORUMS! I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Like most of you, the Fn + Down would dim the screen, however, Fn + Up would not brighten it. This is a bug that dell/intel cannot fix. There are patches that utilize linux, however, if you want the easiest way to fix the problem this is it: DOWNLOAD DARKADAPTED 2.3.4 BUILD 208. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DarkAdapted-Download-5641.html This is the latest version, but if the link doesn't work, look for a newer version. This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at 

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! PLEASE READ AND COPY TO OTHER FORUMS!

No Events found!