Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 28th, 2017 08:00

7% battery wear on new laptop but battery charges up to 107% according to batteryreport

I've an Inspiron 15 7560, it's just just 3 months old. The design capacity of the battery in this thing is 41,998 mWh but windows batteryreport and hwmonitor are showing a full charge capacity of 39,079 mWh. That's 7% less. But the strange thing is that batteryreport as well as hwmonitor show a charge level of 107% when the laptop is full charged. And that's not on one occasion, every full charge is shown as 107%.. The thing that's even more strange is that according to battery capacity history of powercfg batteryreport that drop in capacity happened just around the time I changed the battery charge setting from "Adaptive" to "Primarily AC Use" in Dell Power Manager Lite. What's happening here?

500 Posts

July 28th, 2017 12:00

The lowering of the threshold is what is intended.

This link will give you more information on the charge options.

For your specific case  

"Primarily AC — Extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100 percent capacity. Recommended for users who primarily operate the system while plugged into an external power source."

Yes, I totally understand that.

But the thing is that even after changing the charge setting back to "Standard", the charge threshold doesn't increase and powercfg still shows 7% lower full charge capacity than Design capacity BUT what's even weirder is that when full charged, my current charge level is shown as 107%(the same was true even when set to "Primarily AC". Odd?).

It seems like either the battery firmware is messed up or Dell Power Manager Lite messed it up. It's definitely not because of battery wear because I haven't lost any charge capacity. When full charged my current battery capacity is shown as 41,998mWh in HWmonitor and 107% in batteryreport every single time, as you can see in the attached screenshots. It just seems like the battery is reporting a wrong full charge capacity.

Yes, I totally understand that.

But the thing is that even after changing the charge setting back to "Standard", the charge threshold doesn't increase and powercfg still shows 7% lower full charge capacity than Design capacity BUT what's even weirder is that when full charged, my current charge level is shown as 107%(the same was true even when set to "Primarily AC". Odd?).

It seems like either the battery firmware is messed up or Dell Power Manager Lite messed it up. It's definitely not because of battery wear because I haven't lost any charge capacity. When full charged my current battery capacity is shown as 41,998mWh in HWmonitor and 107% in batteryreport every single time, as you can see in the attached screenshots. It just seems like the battery is reporting a wrong full charge capacity.

500 Posts

July 28th, 2017 19:00

So, as I take it, even after changing off of AC setting, and back to "normal" you are still registering the diminished capacity....

Just to make sure, this is even after changing back to normal, turning it off, unplugging it, then turning it back on. It still registers the 7% drop?

Have you attempted to reseat the battery or reinstall the battery manager?

Have you checked BIOS settings?

July 28th, 2017 20:00

Yes, that's after changing it back to normal setting, performing a full charge and a full shutdown.

I've reinstalled Quickset64, of which the power manager application is a part but that hasn't helped. I haven't yet tried reseating the battery because it's an inbuilt one and that would require opening this thing. Would reseating help?

500 Posts

July 29th, 2017 14:00

Its possible, but if you are not comfortable with doing so, I would not recommend it.

When you turn on the computer, hit F2 during boot and run a battery diagnostic and check settings.

No Events found!