Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

6 Posts

April 18th, 2003 16:00

8500 SCREEN BURN!!!

I got my laptop a week ago (7 days).  I use it M-F.  I have a screen saver after 15 minutes.  I have VERY BAD SCREEN BURN!  I can see the outline of my Outlook and IE windows in XP and the same outlines in RH8.  Is this normal?  Can I fix it? What do I need to do?

Tim

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 15:00

By gero's identification scheme, my screen is a Sharp and I have no burn-in issues on my 8500.

48 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 15:00

WTG! Nice post on the sharp.

Okay, so dell replaced my screen. The tech was out today, and I took photos of the first label and second... We'll see if this one burns. ALSO, the new screen is DEFINITELY brighter than the one that was in here. Watching it degrade in quality (very slowly) I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or what, but now that the new on is in, I can say that the SAMSUNG :) that I had not only burnt in badly, but the screen quality deteriorated (with respect to brightness).

old screen

new screen

Sorry about the flash

Will let y'all know how quickly this burns in :(

edited because i'm stupid.

Message Edited by plankalkul on 06-24-2003 12:10 AM

48 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 16:00

No, SHARP wasn't me (that I recall)... I never found out what I had, and assumed it was a Samsung (because I was having the problem). Nobody at Dell could tell me what screen it was, and I don't THINK that i said mine was a sharp, but am too lazy to go looking through. :)   If you find a post that said i had a sharp, I'm going to claim that I was drunk. Timestamps on the message are irrelevant!

I'm hoping it's a "batch" that's bad, or there's a "batch" that are good... we'll see I guess.  I doubt anything will change, but I'm still within the 30 days and glad to see it swapped.

This really IS dell's job to find out which ones are bad. They're getting all this free diagnostics from us. LOL.. Let's invoice em.

Congrats, I think you're the first one to spell my ID right :)

Dell Inspiron 8500, 2.4ghz, 1gb, 60gb
GeForce 64mb, WUXGA #2 (samsung)
keyboard that clacks, 802.11b
D/View Dock which RULES!

edited for clarity

Message Edited by plankalkul on 06-23-2003 12:39 PM

29 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 16:00

Plankalkul!

It looks like you had a Samsung screen previously by the label picture that you show.. You mentioned it was a Sharp screen.

Anyways,,I wonder if replacing the Samsung with a Samsung is going to leave in the same position as before. Another case of screen burn. 

194 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 17:00

Here is how to find what type of LCD you have.

Go to http://support.dell.com/us/en/home.asp click on the configuration on the left, after examinging your computer you'll get your current system configuration, click on the Configuration Shipped as New at the top and you'll see part numbers and descriptions of components used for your lap assembly.

Mine says WUXGA Sharp.

Message Edited by Andrew WOT on 06-23-2003 01:20 PM

10 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 17:00

NOTE:  I posted this over on the Latitude Video forum - SAME problem SAME screen!  I thought you people should know this is also happening to D800 owners too.  http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_video&message.id=11782 

----(cut)----

I just spoke with technical support at Dell.  Once again, they knew nothing about this at all.  I explained it to them, and after some time, they were able to talk to others and discovered the problem exists.  Then I got the same old thing - screen savers, etc.  She flat out told me that it wasn't going to work.  Then she said they told her to tell me that I should close the screen and see if that helps, which she also thought was stupid.

The lady I spoke with really wanted to help.  She took it to the highest level person she had contact with and when she returned she said "Bad news..." - basically they don't accept this AS A KNOWN PROBLEM!  In other words, THIS ISN'T A KNOWN PROBLEM!  I told her about this thread on Dell's site, and she didn't know anything about it at all.  I also mentioned the huge thread over at the Inspiron forum where they are having trouble with THE SAME SCREEN!  http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=76469

I'm lucky - they are picking up my Dell on Friday for a REFUND.

She also checked on the various part numbers.  They have NO SHARPS at all for the LCD panel - I checked against the part number that bjn posted (great post!) and they DO NOT HAVE ANY.  All that they have are the Samsung screens.

Personally, I'm outraged for the rest of you who trusted Dell enough to replace their screen once or even twice with the same problem until your return policy expired.

Meanwhile, the entire time I'm talking to Dell, Steve Jobs is announcing right at this moment the new 64-bit Apple systems.  http://www.chaosmint.com/  I may consider a "switch" now.  Good luck everyone!

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 19:00

The Swedish IDG has write about screen burning problem of I8500

http://www.idg.se/ArticlePages/200306/23/20030623141513_MD/20030623141513_MD.dbp.asp

58 Posts

June 23rd, 2003 21:00

Any chance of a translation from Swedish?  Do they have an English site?

3 Posts

June 24th, 2003 00:00

I think I can confirm that you will not have the "screen burn" problem, becouse you get a SHARP.

As IDG.se said, user with SHARP will not have this problem.

Lucky one :D

1 Message

Darn, until today I wasn't aware of the screen burn and the keyboard issues (and the audio tick and the dvd incompatibility ..and.....and....) till I saw this forum. !!!

Anyway ordered a 8500 on June 16th and the system has shipped today. Looking at the specs of the shipped system today I have the following parts on it:-

U0674   Liquid Crystal Display, WUXGA, NO-SPWG, 15.4, SHARP

1M745   Keyboard, 87, United States, England/English, Dual Pointing, D-FMLY, R2

Can someone confirm whether the screen and the keyboard is less troublesome that its supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

29 Posts

Plankalkul,

You mentioned that you had a SHARP screen at the bottom of page 20 second post from the end. Your pictures show the Samsing label. So it must have been mentioned in error. That , or else I am very confused..

When I research the new as shipped data, mine comes up as Not Available.

OH! Well!! 

4 Posts

June 24th, 2003 03:00

I have the WXGA screen.. and accordin' to the "Shipped as New" on the profiles part of the web site, it's a Samsung LCD... I haven't heard any problems with the WXGA screens, but I have heard of problems with Samsung. :(

I hope mine will be okay.

48 Posts

June 24th, 2003 04:00

TTP, you were right. I apparently had SHARP on the brain from the previous post. I have edited it for posterity. :)    Nice catch.

So far, after 1/2 of a day of using it, there is no noticable burn, but then again, I haven't been trying very hard. It's nice to see that NEW systems might be shipping with a SHARP screen, which means that SOMEHOW dell has access to them still (we hope). Now if they could only get one slapped into my system. :)

This has gotta get fixed... I love this computer too darn much to return it. And the audio sounds great compared to any notebook i've ever had. Bring on the keyboard fix, bring on the screen fix, and I will love dell forever and ever. These really are great systems, but unfortunately we're seeing some problems being on the bleeding edge (and seeing some poor quality control measures).

23 Posts

June 24th, 2003 07:00

latest news: dell support confirmed that replacing my screen with a sharp will fix the problem. I have to wait to mid july for the part to become available but get the keyboard fix at the same time. I think that's acceptable. Probably just took some time to get the right persons involved at dell.

Cheer up everybody!

29 Posts

June 24th, 2003 14:00

Thanks Great news SMA Oz

I think I will phone DeLL today to get my replacemnt arranged.

No Events found!