Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

6 Posts

March 18th, 2004 20:00

ATI 9600 BIOS Update fails

I have tried to update BIOS on my ATI 9600 Turbo (Inspiron 8600 WXUGA), but without sucess. I download the update from Dell, it unpacks, and WinFlash starts up, but quits with an Error window saying "resources files not found". The computer is only a couple of weeks, with most stuff installed by Dell. Operating system is XP Home, English version.

I have tried to boot into "safe mode" in windows, but same error occurs.

Anyone who encountered and solved this?

I would like to update the bios, since i experince some odd behavior when trying to view video on external (TV) screen.

any help apriciated

2.2K Posts

March 18th, 2004 20:00

Download it again and try it, it likely just got corrupted whilst downloading.

stu

623 Posts

March 18th, 2004 21:00

@Petrush wrote:

I have tried to update BIOS on my ATI 9600 Turbo (Inspiron 8600 WXUGA), but without sucess. I download the update from Dell, it unpacks, and WinFlash starts up, but quits with an Error window saying "resources files not found". The computer is only a couple of weeks, with most stuff installed by Dell. Operating system is XP Home, English version.

I have tried to boot into "safe mode" in windows, but same error occurs.

Anyone who encountered and solved this?

I would like to update the bios, since i experince some odd behavior when trying to view video on external (TV) screen.

any help apriciated

http://images.lunarpages.com/uxga/dos/usb/atibios.exe

If you have a USB key drive, you can download the file linked above that will create a DOS bootable USB drive.  You can then boot from the USB key and then flash the M10 BIOS up from in DOS.

10 Posts

March 19th, 2004 01:00

install .NET Framework and try installing catalyst from ATI

623 Posts

March 19th, 2004 01:00

@Pinoyz wrote:
install .NET Framework and try installing catalyst from ATI

Seems like a hassle having to do that for just a simple BIOS flash.

23 Posts

March 19th, 2004 02:00

Yeah, try downloading it again and run the setup.  Most probably it got corrupted during download. 

6 Posts

March 19th, 2004 06:00

Thanks for all replies. I have tried downloading it several times from both the european dell site and from the international .com site. Note that the file expands well, no error in the unpacking, the error comes when the installer runs the WinFlash utility (99% sure).

I have also tried to disable Norton Antivirus, but no change.

649 Posts

March 24th, 2004 22:00

E-mail me at ofelas@rogers.com, and I'll send you the ATI M10 BIOS file which I downloaded & used with no problems

6 Posts

March 26th, 2004 06:00

Thank you for your support, I have tried to install it, get the message that the files unzipped correctly, but when the flash utility starts, i get the usual error message "resources files not found.". So it seems like it's my installation / my computer that's messing things up.

I have ssen the page with images for USB stick-disks, but unfortionately i do not have access to one. Is there any possibility to do the flash from Linux, i have mandrake installed on another partition?

Many thanks for the support,

6 Posts

March 26th, 2004 07:00

I have been in contact with Dell here in Sweden about this issue now, and they are aware of the problem. They do not know of any solution to it today, and recommends to wait and see if an updated updater arrives.

6 Posts

March 26th, 2004 10:00

I've found a soultion to this problem, got a suggestion of some excellent utilities, RegMonitor and FileMonitor, and finally found the problem.

The installer searches for a localized .dll file, however it only has localization for a few languages. Although I'm using english version of Windows XP, my Regional setting in the control panel was set to sweden. The installer did not seem to have a default .dll to fall back to if no localized version was found, and quitted with the strange error message.

So the quick and easy solution is to temporarly change your Regional setting to a country which is supported (US), install the bios update, hopefully successfully, and then return to your previous setting.

I take no responsibility at all for this solution, but it worked for me.

(I hope Dell reads these forums sometimes, so their technical supports finally can solve this problem for other users)

1 Message

April 27th, 2004 06:00

Seems to be the soiution. Have en english XP Pro but with norwegian setup in Regional setting. Changed that to english and then everything worked perfect.

Kim

No Events found!