Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

October 16th, 2004 18:00

ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 drivers for windows 2003

Hello,

I am having problems with my Dell Inspiron XPS video drivers.
I have loaded Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition onto my Dell Inspiron XPS.
However, I am unable to find any compatible ATI 9700 video drivers that can run on this operating system.   In the past, when I tried installing the drivers for XP or 2000, the laptop becomes unresponsive. Then I have to remove the drivers and leave only the Standard drivers.
Unfortunately, such driver doesn't allow me to utilize the entire potential of the laptop, nor I can use it with any projector machines.

I am open to suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Lion25

623 Posts

October 16th, 2004 18:00

The stock ATI mobility unified driver is compatible with either the M11 or M18 running under Windows 2003.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2004 18:00

Thanks for the information.
I tried doing it last night, but I got a blue screen after restarting the laptop.
Apparently there was a confilct and provoked an bios error or something like that.
I was wondering if DELL will have the drivers for Windows 2003 server that apply for the ATI mobility radeon 9700 series done sometime soon.
I am still open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Lion25

5 Posts

October 19th, 2004 09:00

why u will be running win2k3 on a laptop is beyond me especially the enterprise cos am sure that a is a warez copy u did not pay for(sure u can't afford license for a legit copy) , some u tech wannabees  amaze me , and even if u are using this for some kind of training towards certification i would understand bit itsef would be suied for running under vmware of virtual server. Am sure next thing u wull ask is my doom is not playing as fast on the 2k3 ent server on my laptop. Get a life dude and install workstation os .

623 Posts

October 19th, 2004 11:00

That sorry unintelligible rant isn't even worthy of a response.

3 Posts

October 19th, 2004 15:00

Thanks for the "concerns" of shaka, but unfortunately for his ego, the copy of Win 2003 server running on my laptop is a valid and legit copy purchased from Microsoft for research and development purposes.  We used this type of laptop because it was one with the fastest processors in the market and because we thouhght it would be a good portable development environment. Especially when we were on the road. So, I don't think I'll be receiving a call from Microsoft for suing purposes. Perhaps only to ask to share our knowledge on the pros and cons of using their  software in this radical ways. After all, thanks to all those "tech wannabees" is because our current technology is so advanced. Because they have always pushed technology to the next level.  Sadly enough, I am no longer a "wannabee" anymore. Now, I manage groups of techies to help to improve the lives of people like Shaka. So, the next time that someone with a problem like ours, can benefit from our previous research.  By the way, I thought these forums were only to provide help to each other, instead of merely critisizing when your ignorance is obvious in the subject.
Nevertheless, I thank you all the people who in these forums dedicate their time to help everyone without putting their selfishness and envy on the line.
Again, I am open to any suggestions regarding my predicament.

(Thanks somms for all the support)

623 Posts

October 23rd, 2004 12:00

Some ignorant people just can't understand the concept of the Microsoft Beta program.:smileywink:

1 Message

December 22nd, 2004 23:00

Hi Somms,

OK, I have been trying to get the ATI driver working on my XPS with Windows 2003 but have had no luck.  I tried the kit at the end of the link you provided in your first post, but it doesn't appear to be the one you actually used.  Your posting shows that you have Driver version 6.14.10.6497 but the kit in your posting link is 6.14.10.6476.  I could not find any kits on the Dell web site that had driver 6.14.10.6497.  The latest one available is .6490.  I did find a kit on the ATI web site that appears to have .6497, but it won't install.  What method did you use to get this thing installed?  Any tricks?

Also, did you update your video BIOS?  I see that BIOS version A03 is available.  I don't know if my machine has it or not, but I'll probably try that next.  Figured it was worth asking you, though.

I also noticed that you are using Windows 2003 SP1 RC1.  I actually added that to my machine, in hopes that maybe that would do the trick.  But so far, no luck.

It's sad that ATI and Microsoft tell you that you don't need a high-end graphics card on Win2k3.  My company makes high end engineering system software which requires a fair bit of power and is meant to run on Server operating systems.  I demonstrate that to potential customers and thus, need a powerful machine running Win2k3.  It's much easier to carry a laptop on the plane to a customer site than it is to carry or ship a server machine.  So I agree, there are legitimate reasons to be running Win2k3 server on a laptop.

Any extra hints you might have would be greatly appreciated.

No Events found!