Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

September 6th, 2005 18:00

Any USB KVM Switch that works with Latitude Dock?

Are there any USB KVM switches that work with the Dell D/Port Advanced Port Replicator? I have a Dell Latitude D600 and the above dock and the IOGEAR mini-USB switch definitely does not work. I've read others that have confirmed this.

Are there any USB switches that DO work with the dock?

7 Posts

September 28th, 2005 21:00

I have found a solution to make my DELL keyboard work with the Belkin USB / KVM, hope my solution will work for others too!

First a little detail about my setup, problem, solution.

I have a Belkin 2 port USB / Sound / Microphone KVM connected to a Toshiba M200 and a DELL GX620 system, using the keyboard and mouse provided by DELL, all worked well with my M200 laptop, but only the mouse worked with the GX620, I tried several configurations and found it was detecting the keyboard fine but at some point one of the HID’s (extra control items like volume knob) kills keyboard when connected through the KVM, but I found if I first plug-in a small USB-Hub into the KVM keyboard slot and let it detect the hub FIRST and then connect the DELL keyboard to the hub, the keyboard get detected fine and all extra control functions work also.

Please post a msg back if it works for you or not so we can pass this around if it works.

Best regards.

Phil

September 29th, 2005 17:00

Thanks, Phil! I will have to give that a try.
Is your Belkin switch powered by an AC Adapter?
I'm wondering if the problems I've been having are due to having a switch without external power.

7 Posts

September 30th, 2005 12:00

Self powered from usb from computer, so you MUST use full power slot (Use a USB on the back of computer off of motherboard, not all remote USB connections support full current draw of 2.0 USB) and I found that the hub used needs to be a high current type (2.0) tried to use a cheaper 1.1 and got a over current notification from PnP. The USB hub I am currently using is from Sam's club at a cost of $7 by Stratitec. Have had NO problems after 3 days and # of reboots.

Phil

7 Posts

October 13th, 2005 09:00

I have also tried a Micro Mobile Hub 1.0 from Walmart (about $8) and it works just as well, but now I don't get the "your device doesn't support 2.0 msg" with the keyboard. One less pop-up to click!
No Events found!