Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

March 22nd, 2017 11:00

Audio-Jack-headsets

I have a Dell New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (Intel) – 7567. Can someone tell me the size of the Mic/headset jack? I’m looking for some great gaming headset and short on USB ports? If I use my Buffalo Blu-ray on the right side it (uses 2 USB ports) all the available USB ports on the right side, so if I use the only USB port on the left side for a headset , I’m out of USBs??? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 12:00

Hello. The Inspiron 7567 Setup and Specifications document calls it a "headset (headphone and microphone combo) port", but gives no actual specifications. All Dell laptops up to now have had the standard 3.5 mm jacks, so you should be safe using that as a reference. Get one from someplace that accepts returns.

March 22nd, 2017 22:00

Is the 3.5 mm jack the same size that's on cell phones. And Thanks very much for the reply.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 06:00

Phones are outside my area of expertise, but I think most cell phones have 3.5 mm jacks. My Motorola Moto android phone does. However there might be some phones that have a 2.5 mm jack.

Here is a picture from Wikipedia, of different sized plugs:

In the old days, we called the largest one a 1/4" phone plug, and the next smaller one a 1/8" mini phone plug.It was called "mini" because it was smaller than the 1/4" plug, which was the original phone plug size.

The 1/8" mini plug is the one that we now call a 3.5 mm plug. The smallest size is the 2.5 mm, which is sometimes called a sub-mini plug.

Note that all of the plugs in the picture are either TS or TRS. If you want to use a headset (headphones with integrated microphone), then you would need one with a TRRS plug. (tip/ring/ring/sleeve)

Headsets with TRRS plugs are available with either 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm size plugs, but 3.5 mm is the standard size. If you get one with a 2.5 mm plug, you can put an adapter on it to fit a 3.5 mm jack.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 07:00

Oops, I made a couple of typos in the previous post, which I have now edited out.

March 23rd, 2017 08:00

Great info. Thanks a bunch. Have a great day.

No Events found!