Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2017 04:00

Audio drivers not working properly on Latitude E5430 with Windows 10

Hello, in our company we have many Latitudes E5430/E5530.

Recently we upgraded or clean installed most of them to Windows 10. However, there is quite an issue regarding audio.

The problem is quite simple. When default Microsoft generic audio driver from Windows Update is used, speakers are working and headphones in combo jack too. Problem is, there is no microphone, it wont come up neither the built-in one in laptop nor the combo jack.

In order to get microphone working users must use USB soundcard OR use IDT driver from Dell, which is dated back to 2013 and has different issues. While microphone is working both from jack and the onboard one, speakers are not working at all, sounds goes out only through jack. This is problem since some users want to use the speakers sometimes.

It would be nice if Dell or IDT published working audio drivers for these machines, since they are still supported. In Windows 7/8 and 8.1 everything worked fine except sometimes issue with O2 micro SD card controller.

Downgrading to older Windows is not an option, since we need to test some software under Windows 10 simply because our customers are using it too and Windows 10 are in some aspects better than older versions.

The screenshots are showing versions of MS driver and latest IDT driver for Windows 8, since on Dell support site there is no audio driver for Windows 10, its refered that the one from Windows Update is fine, but in reality it is not.

We have these issues only on Latitudes E5430/E5530 so far.

Basically its this:

Windows Generic Audio Driver:

- speakers and headphones are working + the detection on jack is working

- microphone is not present at all, its disconnected all the time

IDT driver:

- headphones are working only with combo jack

- speakers are not working

- microphone is working

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 6th, 2017 07:00

Hello. Try this. On one of the laptops that has the IDT driver installed, browse to the hard drive to

C:\dell\drivers\

and locate the IDT driver folder. I'm not sure how Dell named it, but if you see a folder named H6WW, that would be it.

Open the folder and right click on the setup.exe file. Click Properties, then the Compatibility tab. Check the box to run in compatibility mode, then from the dropdown menu select Windows 8 or 8.1. You might or might not have to check the run as Administrator box.

If doing that does not fix the IDT driver, I would start from scratch. Completely remove that driver and all of its files from the hard drive. Completely remove any other IDT audio driver files that had been previously downloaded. Then I would download the IDT 1.0.6491.0 version of the driver, and install it like this:

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.  [There are two "formats" on the driver's page. Scroll down to the 2nd one, named "Hard Drive" format, and download that one, not the 1st one named "Windows Update Package".]
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

If doing that does not fix the problem, then here is an easier way to switch between the IDT driver and the Windows native driver, for those who occasionally want to use the speakers.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the IDT driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

It would be nice if Dell or IDT published working audio drivers for these machines

The problem is that IDT went out of the consumer audio business 2 or 3 years ago, so Dell probably no longer has a contract with the company to provide additional drivers. There is a company that took over from IDT, bur since Dell no longer is using IDT chips, it probably doesn't have a contract with the successor company either. Dell itself does not write audio drivers.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

January 6th, 2017 12:00

Hello thanks for that compatibility hint!

Looks like its working with the Windows 8 compatibility mode.

I have some other findings though.

I checked one Latitude E6230 with probably same IDT audio codec. This laptop has Windows 10 version 1607 aka build 14493. It uses generic Windows Audio driver and speakers and microphone works just fine.

So i took spare Latitude E5430 also with Windows 10 version 1607 aka build 14493. There i tried running the IDT driver in Windows 8 compatibility mode and after reboot it also worked with the IDT driver fine.

Third laptop is also E5430, but with older Windows 10 version 1511 aka build 10586.

Here compatibility mode and everything worked until i plugged in external microphone. After that audio went only through combo jack and speakers were dead. Microphone is working.

Reverting to microsoft driver fixes audio from speakers but microphone is disconnected.

Right now i am upgrading that machine to Windows 10 version 1607 aka build 14393, since it looks like its viable solution on the first two machines.

Many thanks for this hint, will report if it helped on the third one.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your post of Jan 6. Had the flu then and I think I overlooked it.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Hello, i can confirm that compatibility mode works!

Nevertheless, some users reported that default Microsoft Driver works fine for them, mic included. Seems its some kind of random magic and only sometimes this kind of solution is needed.

Thanks for help though!

6 Posts

February 7th, 2017 16:00

I accidentally bumped into this post and it features my laptop model, Latitude E5430

.I also have the same problem.

But it seems I don't have that IDT driver at all...

Any heads up?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 8th, 2017 04:00

it seems I don't have that IDT driver at all.

Hello. I answered in your separate thread, but I just want to add here that you can find all of the drivers that Dell has released for the E5430 on the Latitude E5430 html page

On that page, in the "Supported OS" column, WT means Win10, and WB means Win8.1.

In addition, there is the Latitude E5430 support page, where you can find drivers (just the "newest" ones, not all of them that are on the html page), documentation, and some support tools.

No Events found!