Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

July 16th, 2004 14:00

Award winning Dell support?

My company purchases about 30 high end pc's every month, for the last 5 months, rolling out systems. Why lately are techs so darn rude, and refuse to be of much help. They claim the system owner info is not available(this has happened 5 times in 2 weeks(yea... a lot of defective parts lately from the factory)). They want us to log into the site to change the owner info?? Excuse me? I bought the systems from you, and I am NOT changing 30 systems owner info when I am quite sure you can assign the info. Oh we cannot be of service without the correct information. Oh? Well I have the purchase order, the invoice, and order number, but you can't seem to locate anything? When you finally DO get them to admit you actually have the system and are the rightful owner, then they ship you the wrong part THREE TIMES.

Thank you for causing me an extra 20 hour grief every week during the last month. You deserve an award all right. Anyways, I'm done ranting, anyone else see a dramatic decline in service in the last 4-5 months?

38 Posts

July 16th, 2004 15:00

One thing I noticed when I was dealing with Dell a few months ago.... They DO NOT SHARE their customer information company-wide. When you purchased the computer, the Sales department has your customer information of course. When you contacted the Technical Support, they may or may not have all your information. Then, when you move on to the Customer Care department, they will ask you again for the information because they can't access what you have already provided to Sales and Tech Support. What a mess.  Doesn't Dell know that there should be one and only one customer database for the entire company?

I don't know if your problem is because of that or not. But this is something Dell has to fix.

425 Posts

July 16th, 2004 16:00

The reason why Dell asks you for your information is because they are trying to prevent fraud.  How hard is it to repeat your information every time?  There was a guy in NY who would go around gathering service tags and making fraudulent service calls collecting parts because he knew the company name alone.  It even happened to myself - someone used my tag to make a service call.  Complaining about verifying your info - which is done to protect you in the first place - is just pure laziness.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2004 16:00

The least you could do is bother to read the post before blindly defending dell.

Here it is again for you "They claim the system owner info is not available(this has happened 5 times in 2 weeks(yea... a lot of defective parts lately from the factory)). They want us to log into the site to change the owner info?? Excuse me? I bought the systems from you, and I am NOT changing 30 systems owner info when I am quite sure you can assign the info. Oh we cannot be of service without the correct information. Oh? Well I have the purchase order, the invoice, and order number, but you can't seem to locate anything?"

I AM giving them the info, over and over. "just pure laziness." Try reading.

425 Posts

July 16th, 2004 17:00

@rancid11 wrote:
 The least you could do is bother to read the post before blindly defending dell.

Here it is again for you "They claim the system owner info is not available(this has happened 5 times in 2 weeks(yea... a lot of defective parts lately from the factory)). They want us to log into the site to change the owner info?? Excuse me? I bought the systems from you, and I am NOT changing 30 systems owner info when I am quite sure you can assign the info. Oh we cannot be of service without the correct information. Oh? Well I have the purchase order, the invoice, and order number, but you can't seem to locate anything?"

I AM giving them the info, over and over. "just pure laziness." Try reading.

I'm not defending anyone.  There is a change of address form on the website that is used to update the owner information for every system.  They will ask you every single time for validation information whenever you call in so you will always have this issue until all the info is updated.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2004 17:00

Then this tells me I have to buy a system, then go to their website, and tell them who I am, just like it says on the invoice, for every single system I purchase, even if it is 300 of them. I reapeat my subject line then: "Award winning Dell support?"

It was not this way 6 months ago.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2004 02:00

Let's be honest and admit that Dell's support has become a shadow of its former self.

I completely believe that Dell sent you the incorrect parts 3 times, they did that very same thing to us a few months ago, however, the difference was that it was for a mission critical SERVER.  And just to add insult to injury, they on two occasions told me they would send a tech out to do the service, then called me back 12 hours later on my cell-phone to tell me that they were wrong and that I had to do the work.  This was fine, I'm an IT adminstrator, but the NETWORK WAS DOWN....ever since they moved server support from Abeline TX to Bangalore it has become terrible.

Oh and you have desktops/laptops?  Well you can expect hour + hold times and a tier 1 tech who asks you if you have the monitor turned on.  Well thank you sir, I do have it plugged in, may I speak to a person who has used this system before? Nope, you get a guy who reads a flow chart.

The last straw with Dell was when I had a friend purchase an Inspiron 9200 (?), as an owner of an 8100 I was shocked at how poorly the computer was assembled/designed.  Compal or whoever is making the actual systems is clearly designing them as well.  Dell is just putting a sticker on a Compal.

For now on its IBM on the mission critical stuff (they actually have US trained people who have used the systems!) and Sony for the laptops.  Cheap plastic and cheezy blue plastic inserts do nothing to make me want to give you money Dell.  Bye bye.

38 Posts

July 22nd, 2004 14:00

Many companies are learning it the hard way.... being able to speak English does not necessary mean able to *communicate*. When I talk to the NCR Teradata tech support for example, I always request to speak to someone in the States and they will route you back. You can do the same to other companies. I have not tried Dell though.

As of being asked for customer information like email address by different departments, it is not for security reason. I was acutally told by the Dell Customer Care representative that they do not get to share the information. That's why they have to ask again. I think they need a better CRM system.

No Events found!