Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 13:00

BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

HI,

I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 4K screen. I installed the recently released BIOS update which is supposed to address the flickering screen issue. Previously I only ever experienced some minor intermittent flicker at brightness level 0 but after the update, flickering was occurring quite frequently - I checked this upto brightness level 50% and it occurs at all the way up.

It appears the update has made things much much worse Luckily I managed to roll back to A06 which must be the previous release as its the only one on the downloads page.

Anyone else find the update made things much worse?

Be good to know what Dell is doing to sort this out (again).

489 Posts

December 1st, 2016 04:00

Anybody tried the new BIOS 1.2.16  (1.12.2016)?

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

No mention of thread problems in Fixes & Enhancements ("Fix Dell Thunderbolt Dock issue" only)

5 Posts

December 1st, 2016 05:00

So there is really a new bios, sadly its not the one im concerned with. Good job dell

December 1st, 2016 05:00

Dell said the BIOS update for this issue was pushed back until January. I had posted on this a few days ago.

77 Posts

December 1st, 2016 07:00

its brilliant how useless the Dell Update utility is...

I see there is a new Intel Management update also for Enhanced power transition. Will give that a go and see what happens....

77 Posts

December 1st, 2016 07:00

lol and the installer failed...I think it wants me manually remove the old version first....sigh...another top notch software update release.

update: ok the Version 11.5.0.1020, A01 intel management update is terrible. removed the old version, restarted, device manager reports an unknown device, there is no intel management now showing. ran the install again, it failed because I already installed it, now it shows up in device manager....

except version shows Version 11.5.0.1019!!

I was hoping maybe this would sort out the flickering issue since we know its intel related but it didn't.

77 Posts

December 1st, 2016 12:00

Right, New BIOS installed 1.2.16....dare I say I think they have finally FIXED  almost fixed the flickering issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be staring at my screen for some hours just to make sure :emotion-43:

edit: ok I thought it was resolved, and whilst I was writing an email to Dell to update them its started flickering again. It seems this is the best update yet however as occurrence of the flickering seems to be quite limited and not so regular like before. (I was using A14 BIOS previously).

Still its progress....but not 100%. Id say its 95% to being completely gone than before.

18 Posts

December 1st, 2016 16:00

Still flickering, unfortunatelly, waiting for another update... unfortunately...

77 Posts

December 1st, 2016 17:00

Still flickering, unfortunatelly, waiting for another update... unfortunately...

yes it was too good to be true :D

funny because the Dell rep I have communication with emailed me earlier today stating:

Thank you for writing in. I sincerely appreciate your patience while we have worked towards a resolution. I am glad to inform you of the Bios release and have listed the link below to the same:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=J8GY6&fileId=3585545845&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9550-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

Kindly flash the Bios and please update me on the outcome. I am positive we finally have a fix that you would be satisfied with.

489 Posts

December 3rd, 2016 23:00

Flicker gone after rollback to the .4331 Intel video driver from Dell site.

December 7th, 2016 08:00

Sad day when I have to be glad that a year old driver (Dec  2015, v4331 for Intel P530) fixes issue with a brand new ~$3k high end laptop (XPS15 9550). All the security patches and other fixes in subsequent releases cannot be used because of this issue ?

Working

BIOS: 1.2.16

Intel HD Graphics 530 : v4331 (Tried later versions of this driver till latest 4483, All flickers)

Within a week of staring to use this laptop, it has been only a pain. Hardly allowing anyone to enjoy some of appealing aspects of this laptop.

I know there are plenty of threads out there where folks have been complaining. What an absolute disappointment of a laptop. One issue after another. Looking for a fix for this issue with newer drivers (since later drivers seem to suggest security fixes as well). Alongside, I have a noticed another issue about mouse pointer skipping/lagging. After 10 years of using Latitudes satisfactorily, this is first time dell has been so thoroughly a let down.

Laughable really, they better fix this soon or have a response that explains why someone would spend so much on a high end laptop and be stuck trying get the laptop working. Functionally Flawed.

December 9th, 2016 10:00

has anyone gotten a contact email or information for actual customer service for this issue? for my sanity i have just rolled back to the A06 driver....but I think we need to pool the 30+ of us dealing with this and get some kind of compensation at least a price match because the PC is $500 cheaper than what I bought it for....and its still essentially defected.

77 Posts

December 9th, 2016 12:00

I have a dedicated email contact at Dell, he is a Technical Support Manager. I have been regularly liaising with him about this issue and the various threads covering this topic.

I think perhaps its a good idea to create dedicated thread for people to confirm they have the issue - i.e. no discussion, just yes/ no to gather the pool. Downside is some people who have corresponded to this issue might not get visibility of the thread.

Probably best to just share the subject threads covering the issue and Dell can sift through it themselves. The number of views and replies to the threads should be indicator of how serious the problem is.

31 Posts

December 9th, 2016 13:00

This latest go round of mine was initiated by filing with the BBB.  Pretty easy to do online but not any significant difference in results.

December 10th, 2016 05:00

The new bios update has made my flickering worse than the one I had installed which was a few versions old. I've persevered with this for nearly a year now but have had enough. Contacted support this morning for a third time, this time asking for a refund. Time to look for a new laptop.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2016 09:00

I got my XPS 15 9550 with high end specs in August and I have been having the same problem every time I upgrade to the new BIOS which as stated by Dell is an urgent update. The screen brightness starts to flicker every now and then. It is definitely the most annoying thing ever. Every time they release a new update I try to upgrade and see if they have fixed the issue or not but unfortunately, every time I am disappointed and eventually I just roll back to the original BIOS version 1.1.15 which fixes the flickering issue. The sad part is some of the other updates require you to have the latest BIOS in order to upgrade them. Does anyone know when Dell will be actually fixing this glitch?

No Events found!