spiredem
1 Copper

Re: BIOS clock slow- Not due to CMOS battery

Same EXACT issues here.  Wifi dropouts and Bios clock is stalling or slowed.  Also, sleep states and power states are all screwy (when I go to Shut Down, computer restarts.  When it should sleep, it restarts)  Tried flashing BIOS.  Will try OS repair although that doesn't seem to have helped anyone.  Fortunately I extended my warranty and should have replacement MOBO next week.  FIngers crossed.

0 Kudos
RBeliveau
1 Copper

Replace the CMOS Battery with your motherboard. This should resolve the issue. I have been experiencing the slow clock issues for months now. Flashing the Bios didn't help. I replaced the CMOS battery and my time has been maintaining for over a week now. "just got new battery last week"

They are less then 10 bucks online. If your system is under warranty a dell tech will send you one for free. Hope this helps. Thanks.

0 Kudos
gobbo915
1 Copper

I had the same exact problem. Time wasn't keeping up, so I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one from Dell. It ran for a while and then started having the same problems, as well as the not shutting down business. What's wrong with these machines and what is the fix? Did anyone find out?

0 Kudos
RBeliveau
1 Copper

If you have replaced your battery with a factory new one, I would contact Dell for a replacement systemboard(motherboard). Hopefully your system is still under warranty. I was going through the same exact struggles with the clock as you were and once i replaced my cmos battery that went away. I've been working fine for over 5 months now. You must have a more serious problem with the system. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
macdarabutler
1 Copper

I experienced the same problem, Initially I replaced my laptop's main 6w battery with a new 9w battery on my XPS M1330.

Shortly after this I noticed the system clock starting to slow down and act weird.

Today I decided to replace the CMOS to see if that would fix it but when I opened it up I noticed it was soldered to 2 spade lugs so I couldn't simply pop it out.

Anyway I ended up unplugging the cable that the spade lugs were attaching to the motherboard with and therefore disconnecting the CMOS power source.

When I rebooted, the system asked for the time to be set in the BIOS.

The clock is working fine since (7 hours ago) and keeping the time perfectly.

I will update this in a day or two to see if anything changes. Luckily my warranty is good for another week so I can get the tech support guy out if it kicks up again.

RBeliveau
1 Copper

I experienced the same problem, Initially I replaced my laptop's main 6w battery with a new 9w battery on my XPS M1330.

Shortly after this I noticed the system clock starting to slow down and act weird.

Today I decided to replace the CMOS to see if that would fix it but when I opened it up I noticed it was soldered to 2 spade lugs so I couldn't simply pop it out.

Anyway I ended up unplugging the cable that the spade lugs were attaching to the motherboard with and therefore disconnecting the CMOS power source.

When I rebooted, the system asked for the time to be set in the BIOS.

The clock is working fine since (7 hours ago) and keeping the time perfectly.

I will update this in a day or two to see if anything changes. Luckily my warranty is good for another week so I can get the tech support guy out if it kicks up again.

I would strongly recommend contacting Dell before your warranty is up and get this issue logged. This way if it continues they can be held responsible for it should it break shortly after your warranty has expired. You will have better chance of them paying for the repairs then.

0 Kudos
hmourao
1 Copper

I experienced the same problem, but i just want to know how to solve it.

My inspiron is out of warranty and I regret of choosing dell.

Does anybody knows what I should do? CHange motherboard? Which motherboard should I choose?

On Suport web site, they don´t sugest me any motherboard.

Dell, never more!

dogo359
1 Copper

Same issue here....  

Very disappointed with the M1330, which was a great machine at first. 

Convenient how the machine fails after a couple years of being out of warranty. 

By the way, I purchased mine from AAFES, perhaps the broken M1330s have something in common.

0 Kudos
Ricky_ge_68
1 Copper

Slightly different problem with my XPS M1330. My clock was falling behind when the laptop was on and was not working at all when the laptop was either suspended or turned off. I replaced the CMOS battery and now the clock works fine when the laptop is on but is still not moving when the laptop is off. Every time I start working I have to resynchronize the clock on the internet, after that it works fine. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
macdarabutler
1 Copper

I use this widget to work around the problem

www.tolvanen.com/syncit

It needs a constant connection to the net though

0 Kudos